Nearly wiped out a whole cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find it difficult to believe that any driver on a roundabout (unless it was a very big roundabout) was going at such a speed that an emergency stop was necessary - that just smacks of a lack of observation and anticipation.

You really do post some garbage at times.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you're going to cycle like an idiot - at least please don't do it whilst you're leading a group ride - it won't be just you that gets killed.

This is to the dozen club idiots who pulled straight out onto a roundabout near Woodside yesterday morning, two and three abreast, without slowing down. You caused me and the car behind to perform emergency stops. Good job we were awake.

/rantover
Were you already on the roundabout? ie your hard braking took place after you'd crossed the give way line?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I find it difficult to believe that any driver on a roundabout (unless it was a very big roundabout) was going at such a speed that an emergency stop was necessary - that just smacks of a lack of observation and anticipation.
Do you go round roundabouts really slowly then, in case a car turns on to the roundabout, without right of way, right in front of you? I don't. I go round knowing it's a possibility but that's it. And if some car jumps out in front of me then 'emergency stop' it is. And the bloke in the car behind can look out for him/herself, in similar vein.

Cyclists on a club run should be specially well behaved and obey these rules of the road which exist for the benefit of the whole road user community. Leaders of runs will likely know there's a roundabout coming up and depending on the size of the group and the concentration of traffic, should try to ensure that the roundabout is approached at a speed where the group can stop if there's traffic on the roundabout, which HAS PRIORITY.

[QUOTE 4250780, member: 9609"]Did the first rider have priority ?
Should a Pelaton just be treated as you would an articulated lorry as a long vehicle. As a driver I wouldn't expect them to break in the middle (even though by law they should)[/QUOTE]
Yes and no. The key difference between the long train / peloton of cyclists, and a lorry / bus, is that a lorry / bus can't make itself more accommodating to another road user, even if it wanted to, the peloton, can alter its size / shape, in order to not antagonise fellow road users unduly. All this "it's my right to ride 3 abreast, if I want to" is a crock. As a cyclist, using a public highway, you have a responsibility to ride in a manner that doesn't inconvenience other road users, whenever possible. It's even in the guide, that is the Highway Code.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes and no. The key difference between the long train / peloton of cyclists, and a lorry / bus, is that a lorry / bus can't make itself more accommodating to another road user, even if it wanted to, the peloton, can alter its size / shape, in order to not antagonise fellow road users unduly. All this "it's my right to ride 3 abreast, if I want to" is a crock. As a cyclist, using a public highway, you have a responsibility to ride in a manner that doesn't inconvenience other road users, whenever possible. It's even in the guide, that is the Highway Code.
You hit the nail on the head with the high lighted bit. :okay:

PK99

Legendary Member
Cyclists on a club run should be specially well behaved and obey these rules of the road which exist for the benefit of the whole road user community. Leaders of runs will likely know there's a roundabout coming up and depending on the size of the group and the concentration of traffic, should try to ensure that the roundabout is approached at a speed where the group can stop if there's traffic on the roundabout, which HAS PRIORITY.

I lead club runs, and it is an essential part of the leader's obligations to obey traffic law and to not lead the group into danger.

Any of our leaders who did what the op described would be taken to task by the group at the time and would be very unlikely to be asked to lead again.

I drive on a roundabout at a speed that is appropriate to the road conditions. I also observe and anticipate. YMMV.

I've never had to do an emergency stop on a roundabout.

As do I, both in a car, and on a bicycle.

I've never hit anything driving, nor have I cycled onto a roundabout at high speeds in front of a vehicle leaving very it very little time to stop.

Top Bottom