Nearly wiped out a whole cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peedee

If you're going to cycle like an idiot - at least please don't do it whilst you're leading a group ride - it won't be just you that gets killed.

This is to the dozen club idiots who pulled straight out onto a roundabout near Woodside yesterday morning, two and three abreast, without slowing down. You caused me and the car behind to perform emergency stops. Good job we were awake.

/rantover

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Do you know which club it was ?

A little note to the Secretary could/ should be useful ... ;)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Another rant about cyclists "bad behaviour".:rolleyes: If they'd been in single file and not 2 or 3 abreast they would've taken longer to pass and held you up even longer.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
P

peedee

Another rant about cyclists "bad behaviour".:rolleyes: If they'd been in single file and not 2 or 3 abreast they would've taken longer to pass and held you up even longer.

No - read the original post. I don't have a problem with two/three abreast. It was the whole "pelaton" just pulling straight out onto the roundabout in front of me and causing cars to do emergency stops that was the problem.

OP
OP
P

peedee

Do you know which club it was ?

A little note to the Secretary could/ should be useful ... ;)

I wish I'd had time to take note but I was too busy expecting the car behind to run into the back of me.

How do we know you had priority on the roundabout? How do we know it wasn't just a case of you being a naff driver?

I often see drivers who fail to give priority to cyclists on roundabouts when they should.

By the OP I read it as he was already on the roundabout. Unless traffic light controlled, it's very rare to find one where traffic on the roundabout does not have priority, and priority is to the right.

I have experienced similar from clubs. I was on the way to work on a Sunday late morning in Macclesfield, the Knutsford/Chelford/Macclesfield area is popular for cycle races/events in Summer at the weekends.

https://goo.gl/maps/nYBv7GgtNqm

I was ON the roundabout, which is a typical roundabout, only to have to stop extremely quickly, as cyclists approaching from the left failed to even slow down. It was part of their race, and not a single one in the large chain reduced their speed at all. It could have been a very serious accident, but they all seemed more interested in their race than traffic that had priority. They were seriously moving, at a very impressive pace, but not one would have been able to stop.

I have only experienced this once in the 2 years I worked and commuted there, so I'm not claiming they're all guilty, far from it! But I am inclined to believe the same or similar happened with the OP's incident.

PK99

Legendary Member
I find it difficult to believe that any driver on a roundabout (unless it was a very big roundabout) was going at such a speed that an emergency stop was necessary - that just smacks of a lack of observation and anticipation.

You can be a real prat at times. Why the "two wheels good, four wheels bad" obsession? The cyclist who was driving the car, described illegal, dangerous behaviour by cyclists failing to give way to traffic on a roundabout, yet you criticise the driver. FFS GET REAL!

Top Bottom