Nearly wiped out a whole cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
I wish I'd had time to take note but I was too busy expecting the car behind to run into the back of me.

If the driver behind you was any good then perhaps he would have been able to read ahead and see the hazard.:okay:

PK99

Legendary Member
The OP doesn't say which of the riders caused him to emergency stop. The leaders may have done nothing wrong.

Not correct. The leader's duty of care to both the other riders and other road users mean that in the circumstances described, even if the lead rider had had nominal priority, he should stop.

I'm struggling to think of a roundabout in the country where you would fail to notice an entire peleton. I'm sure the op will provide full details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
Please do not start arguing about the details of the circumstances which have been described by the OP. He was the only one there, so any speculation about the minutiae of the event is pointless and will only lead to further argument, which has a tendency to lead to raised heart-rates and abuse etc - which is not desirable. :headshake:

Thank you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe the OP can explain the situation better

However, all road users including cyclists should slow down approaching a hazard. Contrary to the belief of some on this forum, cyclists are not beyond reproach.
Like the twat who recently failed to slow down as I stepped onto a zebra crossing and got uppity when I shouted at him that stopping also applied to cyclists

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I find it difficult to believe that any driver on a roundabout (unless it was a very big roundabout) was going at such a speed that an emergency stop was necessary - that just smacks of a lack of observation and anticipation.
I don't regard the roundabouts around the 'sham as being of the very big variety but only last month I was, in the course of one weekend, forced to conduct two emergency braking manoeuvres as

nobber A, whom I had already sussed as knobjockey, serenely turned right in front of me whilst indicating a left turn. Unfortunately nobber B was in the process of overtaking me on the roundabout and collided with nobber A

nobber C, simply pulled out straight in front of me, clearly having an highly animated conversation on a handsfree mobile.

I wasn't going that fast in either case but needed the ABD to do its stuff.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes and no. The key difference between the long train / peloton of cyclists, and a lorry / bus, is that a lorry / bus can't make itself more accommodating to another road user, even if it wanted to, the peloton, can alter its size / shape, in order to not antagonise fellow road users unduly. All this "it's my right to ride 3 abreast, if I want to" is a crock. As a cyclist, using a public highway, you have a responsibility to ride in a manner that doesn't inconvenience other road users, whenever possible. It's even in the guide, that is the Highway Code.
Probs you get off the roads completely then, as any driver can claim to be inconvenienced by any cyclists, even a lone one,

I've never heard of that before. How on earth does the leader know where the stragglers are? Suppose a driver overtakes just before the roundabout so the peleton is split? That sounds like a made-up rule to me.

The OP bangs on about 2 or 3 abreast, which is not only lawful but often sensible at dangerous places like roundabouts. So the OP appears to resent cyclists and seems unwilling to provide further details on this incident. Ho hum.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

However, all road users including cyclists should slow down approaching a hazard. Contrary to the belief of some on this forum, cyclists are not beyond reproach.
Like the twat who recently failed to slow down as I stepped onto a zebra crossing and got uppity when I shouted at him that stopping also applied to cyclists
Use your shoulder. Far more effective than shouting.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

He seams to explain it well, Don't understand a lot of the replies, Are you all just a bit bored, Maybe you should go for a ride.:wacko:

Last edited:
Top Bottom