Neck and Shoulder pain solution: Handlebars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2022_10_30_n_d_g_26.jpg

I've noticed when riding for longer rides (40k+) on my Xtracycle I experience neck and shoulder pain and numbness in my right hand; I don't have the same problem on my drop handlebar tourer.

I think the pain could be due to one or more factors:

As I ride I tend to slouch my shoulders; this isn't a problem for a short ride but of course means my neck and shoulders are under pressure so hurts on longer rides. I can't slouch the same way on the tourer because my arms are closer together.
The reach on the tourer is shorter.
The grips on the Xtracycle and bar ends may be a contributing factor.

I realise the easy answer is "Use the tourer for longer rides" but I'm likely to be touring in April and it's possible the Xtracycle is the only bike available, so I'd like to see if I can alter the setup.

I can pretty much try anything as I have boxes of used spares at work, but I'd like to avoid wasting to much time swapping things and trying them, so feel free to make suggestions...

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I would start sliding saddle forward on the rails or shorter stem length? 10mm at a time?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Two things that leap out at me are the stem. It appears to be a quill stem and actually quite a long one and set quite low. My first inclination would be to raise the stem so the bars are a similar height to the saddle. I don't know about you, but as I've got a little bit older I have noticed I like my bars a little bit higher now, too low and I start to experience the same symptoms as you describe.

Raising the stem height would be quick and easy and I would ride like this for a few rides and see what you feel. If that doesn't completely cure it, then the more drastic one is to change the stem for a shorter one, your lucky and have a selection at work to try, but first I would raise the bars and see what that does.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Of course things will be different for you, but I have had all kinds of pains with straight bars.

If I hold my arms out in a relaxed posture my hands naturally turn slightly outwards, and I have found bars that are a little swept back match my normal posture.

Great bike, Andy.

Thanks again. I'll start by raising the bars and see what happens, then work on from there. I'm also getting some better grips as I've put up with those on the bike for well over ten years.

Of course this means I'll have to ride the bike more. For research purposes of course, it's not like I'll actually enjoy it...

Of course things will be different for you, but I have had all kinds of pains with straight bars.

If I hold my arms out in a relaxed posture my hands naturally turn slightly outwards, and I have found bars that are a little swept back match my normal posture.

Great bike, Andy.

I'm glad you like it; it's almost a quarter of a century old in parts and still working beautifully. Raleigh knew what they were doing when they built this bike.

I've tried swept bars on another bike and my wrists hurt after a few kilometres.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Some great advice here imo ✅👍🙏

I sometimes suffer with the same. But only on my half MTB / half Hybrid bike. And am also currently playing around with contact point positions / height / grips - even grip thickness. ***(I’m now positive thick(er) grips sets my wrists in an unnatural position- and irrespective of anything else - can / might be the cause of some of my aches on longer rides).

Do you wear gloves Andy ? I’m also convinced some of these gloves with support / Gel padding on the outside on the upper palm actually are ‘worse’ for me.

I’ve tried a few pairs now - and in-fact today am about to buy some very plain / very thin but very cheap gloves with the least support yet - in order to trial them and see if some minor differences in hand / arm / shoulder positioning makes any difference to comfort…

Good luck 🤞

Some great advice here imo ✅👍🙏

I sometimes suffer with the same. But only on my half MTB / half Hybrid bike. And am also currently playing around with contact point positions / height / grips - even grip thickness. ***(I’m now positive thick(er) grips sets my wrists in an unnatural position- and irrespective of anything else - can / might be the cause of some of my aches on longer rides).

Do you wear gloves Andy ? I’m also convinced some of these gloves with support / Gel padding on the outside on the upper palm actually are ‘worse’ for me.

I’ve tried a few pairs now - and in-fact today am about to buy some very plain / very thin but very cheap gloves with the least support yet - in order to trial them and see if some minor differences in hand / arm / shoulder positioning makes any difference to comfort…

Good luck 🤞

Interesting point; yes, I do wear gloves most of the time unless I lose them somewhere. this means I wear them when riding my tourer as well, and don't have any issues.

Check the relative positions or the three contact points against your tourer. Suspect saddle may need to move back a bit.

The tourer is shorter overall and the saddle is a bit lower so I'll work on making the Xtracycle match it.

All about weight distribution and possibly handlebar width. You need to have a play to reduce weight on hands. Also make sure you bend your elbows to stop shocks from the road going through your shoulders via straight arms.

Good point, my arms tend to be straight on the Xtracycle so that will have to change.

I think I'll probably raise the handlebars about a cm and drop the saddle a little, maybe half a cm to start with. If that doesn't work I'll shorten the stem itself so the bars come nearer. At that point I'll probably shorten the bars themselves as well.

This is all looking very hopeful: maybe I'll be able to use the Xtracycle on the tour after all.

Probably should get a lighter spray deck though...

All uphill

Still rolling along

It took me a while to work this out. Padded gloves do not work for me!

My favourite handwear are Gore C3 mitts. They seem like a lot of money for very little fabric, but are the most comfortable for me.

Top Bottom