Neck pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've started doing triathlons and in an effort to eke out as much speed as possible from my old road bike, I've reconfigured it as a TT bike. This of course means a new tri bar and a new riding position, one which is a lot lower than my normal one and it is killing my neck. After about an hour or so I find it very painful to hold my head up and look forward. I'm wondering whether this is normal and I'll get used to it after a few more rides or not normal and maybe indicative that I've set up the bike incorrectly.

e-rider

crappy member
I been having this problem ever since a neck injury in 2004 - I've tried many things but have yet to find a solution. I have no choice but to higher the bars but I still get neck pain sooner or later.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I struggled with neck pain when 1st putting on tri bars, my solution to it came from making sure my possition was as good as I could possibly get it at present and riding it out (i.e. taking it as it comes spending increasinly long periods on the bars). One thing though, lower your head and look ahead using your eyes. This might eleviate your neck pain to some degree.

vorsprung

Veteran
marzjennings said:
I've started doing triathlons and in an effort to eke out as much speed as possible from my old road bike, I've reconfigured it as a TT bike. This of course means a new tri bar and a new riding position, one which is a lot lower than my normal one and it is killing my neck. After about an hour or so I find it very painful to hold my head up and look forward. I'm wondering whether this is normal and I'll get used to it after a few more rides or not normal and maybe indicative that I've set up the bike incorrectly.

It is normal

As someone else said you should ride for 1 mile like this, then 2 miles the next day then 3...etc etc until you can do the full distance
Core and neck strengthening exercises may help a little
If your bike has the option then raising the height of the bars a little might help
My old road racing bike has too long a top tube to use clip on tri bars but ISTR this led to back pain not neck pain :smile:

OP
OP
marzjennings
I could raise the bars quite easily, maybe an inch or two, but I wanted to see how low I could go and still ride. I'll try a few more training rides to see if my neck starts to strengthen up before raising the bar.

Cheers for the info and experiences.

Top Bottom