Ned Boulting: "History of Irish Cycling" on ITV hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Watched a good programme about Irish cycling, Seán Kelly was probably only second best to Eddy Merckx in overall career results.

"Ned's History of Irish Cycling. Catch up on the ITV Hub

Ned Boulting delves into the history of Irish road cycling, meeting global icons like Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche to learn how one small island produced top two cyclists."
https://www.itv.com/hub/neds-history-of-irish-cycling/10a2811

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I saw it the other week, excellent program.

And BTW, it's Sean Kelly, not Shaun.

Just sayin':okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Spent too much time on cycling on the continent. I'd have preferred more about the Irish road cycling of the day.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I saw it the other week, excellent program.

And BTW, it's Sean Kelly, not Shaun.

Just sayin':okay:

I can never spell Irish Gaelic words, my sister-in-law is called Siobhán, pronounced Shi-vawn.

Seán in Irish Gaelic is just plain old John, so my wife told me yesterday. Americans use the spelling Shawn, which sounds correct.

Irish Gaelic is a different language, so their spellings don't make much sense in English.

Anyway, Sean Kelly was one of the best cyclists ever, sláinte :okay:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Irish Gaelic is a different language, so their spellings don't make much sense in English.
Although, iirc, the spelling / pronunciation is a lot more regular, so once you know it, there's relatively little of the bough/cough/through sort of stuff that vexes English learners.
Speaking of Irish races, the BikeShow's piece on the Ras is still available, and a great listen if you've not heard it before;
The Bike Show, 9th March 2009 - Legends of the Ras (Google Podcasts)

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Americans use the spelling Shawn

I have also known Ulster-Scots speakers that use that spelling.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can never spell Irish Gaelic words, my sister-in-law is called Siobhán, pronounced Shi-vawn.

Seán in Irish Gaelic is just plain old John, so my wife told me yesterday. Americans use the spelling Shawn, which sounds correct.

Anyway, Sean Kelly* was one of the best cyclists ever, sláinte :okay:
Old Kelly was one of the best cyclists ever!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I watched it this afternoon, I had to have subtitles on as I couldn't understand a word of what Ned Boulting was saying.

I felt it was a bit rushed, especially when they put up peoples palmares; but interesting none the less.

Top Bottom