Neds in the park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having a late afternoon cycle round Strathclyde Park today, when some ned, one on a small motorbike, the other on a four wheeled buggy, came racing along the path - the section is for pedestrians and cycles only. They tore along and would not deviate, forcing others to take evasive action. I believe one may have spat at me as he passed but am not certain.

No point in contacting the police at the time as they shot off quickly, and of course no park rangers around at that time.

Anyone any suggestions how to deal with similar behaviour in the future? Apart from hoping for a catastrophic collision between the wee shites.

midlife

Guru
Can't help but Neds is such a Scottish expression, like schemie :smile:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Im sure there are friendly jobsworths at the council who might respond especially with the weight of an MP behind them but the chances are they'll just install those stupid barriers which anybody fatter than a twig can't really squeeze through with dignity. I think the police would likely be interested if there was recorded evidence, however if nobody reports them then who really can do anything? (legally)...

Svendo

Guru
How do you know they were called Edward?

seriously I think it’s the sort of issue that needs long term knowledgeable neighbourhood policing of the sort that’s no longer affordable or otherwise officers move on too soon, especially from the ‘interesting’ neighbourhoods.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Around here the police do appreciate you reporting it even if there's no point in them responding immediately. They ask for as much of a description I can give them of both the riders & the bikes.

And I'd be horrified if I hadn't reported someone and there was later an incident when someone was injured.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sadly our country is infested with these low lifes. I don't know the answer. Having spent 19 years in Strathclyde's finest, I can safely say the system is totally ineffective in dealing with them.
We need a whole culture change, but from my observations over a 59 year period, the culture change is heading in the wrong direction.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Aren't motorbikes still supposed to have rear number plates ?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Not much you can do without incurring the Wrath of the Law. Any sort of Community Action and people start throwing about words like ‘pre-meditated’.
I am given to understand that enough reports of Little Scallies being Unsociable will incline the local plod to Show a Presence in the park. Ymmv, T&CA.
Unless they are all re-deployed to police the Big Thing in Glasgow . . .

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sadly our country is infested with these low lifes. I don't know the answer. Having spent 19 years in Strathclyde's finest, I can safely say the system is totally ineffective in dealing with them.
We need a whole culture change, but from my observations over a 59 year period, the culture change is heading in the wrong direction.
When you get useless parents stating "but they all do that, they are just having fun" when challenged, it's a lost cause. :sad:

Chief Broom

Veteran
and thats one of the reasons i moved to the Highlands to get away from the uncaring,savage drug fuelled SOBs....Unfortunately they come here to,,, burning/littering/befouling like a plague of marauding Orks,,,

Top Bottom