Neds in the park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'd be cycling somewhere quieter without Neds (non-educated delinquents), thanks for the new word for my vocabulary.
Easier said than done in certain areas of the Scottish central belt. It's not exactly leafy laned suburbia... Even in the nicer areas, you're never far from somewhere dodgy. So unless you want to severely restrict the scope of your bike rides, you take your chances.

GuyBoden

Guru
Easier said than done in certain areas of the Scottish central belt. It's not exactly leafy laned suburbia... Even in the nicer areas, you're never far from somewhere dodgy. So unless you want to severely restrict the scope of your bike rides, you take your chances.
I can sympathize, I rarely cycle North-East from Warrington towards Manchester, or West towards Liverpool for the same reasons. The vast majority of my rides are South into leafy lane Cheshire, it's so much nicer for cycling.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
No point in contacting the police at the time as they shot off quickly
It might seem pointless; BUT, when you report something like this, an "incident" is recorded on the command and control system. These are checked on a daily basis by the Divisional Commander for the area. If a pattern is seen, i.e. if several incidents are reported, then resources might be made available to tackling the problem.

So although you might not get an instant response, something might get done in future. The major problem arises with the modern system of actually reporting non emergency matters to the Police. Anyone who has tried to use the 101 number will know what I mean. A complete disaster in terms of being helpful to the public, but a genius method of keeping crime figures down.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We are fortunate here that we do not seem to have that kind of problem. There are the usual boy racers and I am not currently up to date but there will be some antisocial people
I don't think the current population with vast numbers of incomers would be as decisive as in the past but miscreants can be traced pretty quickly once the jungle drums start.
A while ago an old man in Dervaig was assaulted in his home. It was a blues and twos job for the local plods.
Not to get the culprit as such but to get him before the lynch mob which was assembling did.

Slick

Guru
It might seem pointless; BUT, when you report something like this, an "incident" is recorded on the command and control system. These are checked on a daily basis by the Divisional Commander for the area. If a pattern is seen, i.e. if several incidents are reported, then resources might be made available to tackling the problem.

So although you might not get an instant response, something might get done in future. The major problem arises with the modern system of actually reporting non emergency matters to the Police. Anyone who has tried to use the 101 number will know what I mean. A complete disaster in terms of being helpful to the public, but a genius method of keeping crime figures down.
Got to be worth a try then, even if we already know its unlikely to attract any attention. Would the local council not be an approach worth trying as well, especially if the culprits attracted a number of complaints?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Got to be worth a try then, even if we already know its unlikely to attract any attention. Would the local council not be an approach worth trying as well, especially if the culprits attracted a number of complaints?
Possibly. I'm a bit out of date with how all this "multi-agency" response stuff works. In the past, the council would fob you off with the "it's a matter for the Police" response, but these days they might be duty bound to consider prevention methods, like the previously mentioned horrible access gates. I suspect it would need to become a regular problem before they would spend any money on it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Yes, always worth reporting such incidents. Something may (eventually) get done. If no-one reports, then definitely, nothing will get done.

Personally, I generally include poking my local Councillor and MP with a sharp stick to draw their attention to the problem too. May as well give them something useful to do.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Sadly, illegally ridden/driven motor vehicles are common place, in this area too. Saw these two on Saturday, riding along a public road, the one in front has no number plate, so, quite possibly no insurance, no licence, the second one does have a number plate. I have reported it, with a better image, showing a readable number plate, which should identify the owner of the second vehicle, but, I cannot imagine the Police will put the thumbscrews on him to find out who was driving, and, the name of his mate.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 13.30.11.png

biking_fox

Guru
Sadly, illegally ridden/driven motor vehicles are common place, in this area too. Saw these two on Saturday, riding along a public road, the one in front has no number plate, so, quite possibly no insurance, no licence, the second one does have a number plate. I have reported it, with a better image, showing a readable number plate, which should identify the owner of the second vehicle, but, I cannot imagine the Police will put the thumbscrews on him to find out who was driving, and, the name of his mate.

View attachment 615075

Why is the rear vehicle illegal? (assuming driver's insured MOT etc, can't tell from image). No helmet required for 4wheel, correct side of the road leaving you plenty of space for an overtake, doubt they're exceeding the speed limit. I might not like them, but that doesn't make them illegal.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Why is the rear vehicle illegal? (assuming driver's insured MOT etc, can't tell from image). No helmet required for 4wheel, correct side of the road leaving you plenty of space for an overtake, doubt they're exceeding the speed limit. I might not like them, but that doesn't make them illegal.
I didn’t say it was illegal, I said the first one ie the one in front.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Baseball bat is the answer.

I follow what goes on in Hull from the comfort of Denmark. It is getting very close to the point where vigilantes are going to start cleaning Hull up.

I mean vigilante in the nicest term as I am beginning to become a supporter. It gone out of control and the police are powerless to do anything because they are not supported by the courts, who hand out Pxss poor sentences to cretins who walk out of the door and start all over again.

There is a group of lads from Hull on Tic Toc who film themselves stealing bikes and motorbikes. They film themselves thrashing them all over the city and then setting fire to them. I can sit here across the water and identify 4 of them and yet nothing happens. Everyone knows the area in which they live and yet the police appear to be doing nothing.

I was reading about this group of kids in Richmond Park, stealing bikes using a machete. When I was growing up, catching these kids would be like a Saturday sport for my mates and I.

I can understand why the people want to hand out their own punishments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom