Need a new bike!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dont see how a road bike of similar budget would be significantly bettet than your boardman cx. If the gearing is suitable you can fit 28mm sporty tyres. Ive yet to meet any tourists who wish they had higher gears as opposed to lower ones.

vickster

Legendary Member
It should be 10 speed 50/34 + 11-32 if original spec

a.twiddler

Veteran
A lot of helpful information on here.

Possibly you are over thinking it all. You will be riding about 215miles, not a LEJOG, and will have a support vehicle. Will the support vehicle be bringing you back to base, or train, or will you be cycling back? One of your comfortable, familiar bikes is more likely to help you enjoy the ride better than a new unfamiliar one (and I know how long it takes to make the tweaks and changes to a bike that is new to you, to get it right). As long as you and your riding companions have a bit of give and take and you support each other, that is more likely to affect your experience than your equipment, within limits.

Just my 10p worth.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
A lot of helpful information on here.

Possibly you are over thinking it all. You will be riding about 215miles, not a LEJOG, and will have a support vehicle. Will the support vehicle be bringing you back to base, or train, or will you be cycling back? One of your comfortable, familiar bikes is more likely to help you enjoy the ride better than a new unfamiliar one (and I know how long it takes to make the tweaks and changes to a bike that is new to you, to get it right). As long as you and your riding companions have a bit of give and take and you support each other, that is more likely to affect your experience than your equipment, within limits.

Just my 10p worth.
Good advice thank you.

Yes we have a return ride so all covered there.

I think I started to get nervous when I see other riders with much higher spec bikes and faster ride times, we've all agreed to stay together but that puts me under pressure. Think Id prefer them to move forward and meet up at intervals so I can save my legs and be steady.
Ive never done these distances back to back before, the climbing is an issue for me too

raggydoll

Über Member
Don't be nervous. You are all doing it for fun. It's not a race. You will probably find that you will all settle into a pace that everyone is happy with! :okay:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Once you have done it, and no doubt there will be low points as well as the highs along the way, it will give a boost to your self confidence. It might even give you an appetite for cycle touring, or even longer trips in future!

C.J

Über Member
So I foolishly agreed to do a bike tour from Wakefield to London and that's now crept up on me. It's in 3 weeks.

I'm doing it with experienced cyclists who have nice road bikes.

I have 3 bikes, mountain bike, not suitable, CX, comfy, love it but too heavy, road bike, 10 year old Carrera which is well used.

I thought I could just turn up to a shop and point at one, oh no, everywhere is out of stock!

So I'm looking anywhere and everywhere for new or second hand. I have a budget of £750-1.5k for the right one and need an XL.

Can anyone offer advice please? Any known shops, bikes, anyone selling?

From the NW but will travel for the right bike.

Thanks Dave
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174807054663?hash=item28b34ff947:g:R0sAAOSwRldgz

I was considering this, only it is a bit of a trek from where i am....:laugh::laugh: see what i did there, sorry:laugh:.

Looks a nice bike and its in your part of the world.

he already has a cx bike, why would he buy another one?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've not waded through 6 pages, but from what i have read, the only route to go down is some road specific tyres on the Boardman (or the wheels and tyres off the Careera swapped onto it??) , and strip the mudguards off if its dry (although 1kg will hardly make a difference to powerful beast :okay: like the OP).

I don't know what cassettes you have at your disposal on either bike, but a new cassette and chain with a 30T biggest sprocket might help too if its a climby route and you're not a stick thin mountain goat.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why would a 30T be better than the 32 on there currently?
The Boardman has disc brakes, presumably a 10 year old Carrera has rim brakes, so swapping wheels not an option (probably on 23mm tyres too)

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
No worries, but discussed just a few posts up 👍

@david k did you order tyres yet?
To scared to answer 😁
I've ordered a new chain and cassette 32 instead of 28 for the Carrera along with new tyres (25s) and new bar tape.
I dithered on new tyres for the Boardman, will decide tomorrow and order.
Bought 6 new inner tubes and new socks though 👍

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174807054663?hash=item28b34ff947:g:R0sAAOSwRldgz

I was considering this, only it is a bit of a trek from where i am....:laugh::laugh: see what i did there, sorry:laugh:.

Looks a nice bike and its in your part of the world.
Yes I've seen this, looks really nice but too similar to my Boardman to justify the purchase.
I'm probably going to hold the new bike, look to get something next year, upgrading both the Carrera and Boardman then decide which closer the time.
Did 70 miles on the Boardman, comfier but heavier than the Carrera which I did 25 miles on earlier.
Getting in some good miles but the weight isn't shifting, I'm eating well apart from the day after a good ride, there's just no filling me !!!!

Top Bottom