Need advice on indoor stationary/“cycle” bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madferit73

Looking to buy our first stationary/cycle bike. Want something that automatically adjusts tension to simulate varied terrian. So we don’t have to fiddle with a knob while riding

Are there any makes/model that do that with built in programs? Or do any bikes that adjust the tension for you require a subscription service? Don’t need a bunch….just a couple programs

Replacing a cruddy old Golds Gym recumbent bike we have had for 15 years. And maybe paid $125 bucks for. It’s one saving grace was it varies the tension via magnet to similate hills. I just assumed that was a standard thing now but I haven’t found a single one. Need to be “upright” now. That’s the only reason it’s being retired

thanks in advance!

Sounds like you need a smart bike.

Wattbike
Wahoo kick r bike
Stages SB
Tacx Neo smart bike

None of which are cheap - although lots available used - many of which have very light use.

You might to get the thread moved to buying advice or indoor training.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
Yeah as @kingrollo says, the smart bikes out there that are "controllable", e.g. they change the resistance automatically for you based on what gradient is being simulated, rather than you having to modify it manually, are all quite expensive. I have a Wattbike Atom and am very happy with it, but brand new that would set you back £2,400. You might be able to find a used one for a lot less (especially as it would be likely to be the original version rather than the v2 currently on sale) but it's still a fair chunk of change.

If you don't want to subscribe to Zwift/RGT/Bkool etc. I believe all of the major smart bikes do have their own app that is free, although obviously a lot less immersive - no pretty pictures, just numbers and graphs on a screen. For example, for my Wattbike I can use the Wattbike Hub, which is an app downloadable from both Apple and Android stores to your phone or tablet - this connects to the bike and allows it to simulate the gradients of various famous routes and climbs, but I haven't used it much myself as I prefer to use Zwift.

Alex321

Veteran
There are some apps available which don't require a subscription, although routes tend to be more limited. MyWhoosh is one - operated by UAE, and initially only had routes from there, but now includes a fair few others.

But the bigger, better know apps such as Zwift or Rouvy all require subscriptions.

It might also be worth looking at getting a smart turbo trainer (direct drive better) and a cheap bike to put on it, rather than going for a full stationary bike. That will usually be quite a bit cheaper.

I have a wattbike and love it. I would highly recommend buying used - my v2 was £1500 - previous owner purchased it to do knee rehab after a knee replacement - but rehab went better than expected - so he only used it 4 times - thats almost £1k off new - and the two year warranty goes to the new owner on a parts only basis. I ve seen other similar priced used wattbikes.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
an entry level fluid turbo you attatch your bike too doesn't alter the resistance , you do that by changing gears , if your prepared to get into zwift etc the app alters your calculated speed based on the course gradient and surface .

Alex321

Veteran
an entry level fluid turbo you attatch your bike too doesn't alter the resistance , you do that by changing gears ,

Yes, it needs to be a "smart" one for it to alter the resistance. But they don't have to be super-expensive for that This one is £500 https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tacx-Flux-S-Smart-Trainer_203337.htm

I got an etc one from Tredz for half that, early this year, but that is no longer in stock.

I believe the OP is in the US, but they should be able to find something similar, and even if adding a dedicated bike, should still come to way less than the cos of a wattbike or similar.

Yes, it needs to be a "smart" one for it to alter the resistance. But they don't have to be super-expensive for that This one is £500 https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tacx-Flux-S-Smart-Trainer_203337.htm

I got an etc one from Tredz for half that, early this year, but that is no longer in stock.

I believe the OP is in the US, but they should be able to find something similar, and even if adding a dedicated bike, should still come to way less than the cos of a wattbike or similar.

That's only a turbo trainer though. OP said he was looking to replace his excercise bike.

Alex321

Veteran
That's only a turbo trainer though. OP said he was looking to replace his excercise bike.

I know perfectly well what it is. And what he said. I had suggested that it might be more cost effective to get a turbo trainer and a cheap bike to sit on it.

Top Bottom