Need Help Please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

josh2143

drop out could be replaceable if a modern bike , but on older steel bikes not so easy ?

we need pics to help more

9bd93e8d0953713969f14b4c7952638d[1].png

OP
OP
J

josh2143

drop out could be replaceable if a modern bike , but on older steel bikes not so easy ?

we need pics to help more

i attempted to insert a photo? didnt turn out so well heres the link
http://gyazo.com/9bd93e8d0953713969f14b4c7952638d

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well from what i can make out in pics have you removed the quick release spindle ?

and the drop out looks to be recessed from the rest of the frame

OP
OP
J

josh2143

well from what i can make out in pics have you removed the quick release spindle ?

and the drop out looks to be recessed from the rest of the frame

i was thinking this myself but i cant find any other way it attaches to the bike other than the frame and i dont want to be replacing this,
as i dont know alot about taking a bike apart and putting it together i did take that out yess to get it out of the way so i could see how the drop out was attached,
it is back in now though.
another question though, as this is not my bike i need to know is it my fault that i adjusted it near the handlebars? or is it the persons who as adjusted the actual drailleur? because surely if its adjusted right it had a limit to how far it goes s it does not collide with the wheel?

MaxInc

another question though, as this is not my bike i need to know is it my fault that i adjusted it near the handlebars? or is it the persons who as adjusted the actual drailleur? because surely if its adjusted right it had a limit to how far it goes s it does not collide with the wheel?

The limit points can only be adjusted on the rear derailleur using the H and L screws. You seem to have adjusted the cable tension which doesn't affect how far in our out the derailleur moves. This shouldn't have been possible with a correctly adjusted derailleur or by simply adjusting cable tension. As a safety feature, most bikes have a plastic disc in between the last cog and spokes to prevent the derailleur from being caught in the spoke in situation like this, but I'm guessing this was missing from the back wheel?

snorri

Legendary Member
If you have done nothing more to this bike other than attempt to change gear using the controls on the handlebars as you pedalled along,, then I would say no blame could be placed on you for the failure.

Reference your mention upthread of 'kik', 'smartphone', 'ipad', 'social app' go easy on us, many on here are quite old, 30+ and more.:biggrin:

OP
OP
J

josh2143

The limit points can only be adjusted on the rear derailleur using the H and L screws. You seem to have adjusted the cable tension which doesn't affect how far in our out the derailleur moves. This shouldn't have been possible with a correctly adjusted derailleur or by simply adjusting cable tension. As a safety feature, most bikes have a plastic disc in between the last cog and spokes to prevent the derailleur from being caught in the spoke in situation like this, but I'm guessing this was missing from the back wheel?

i will send another photo, there is a plastic disk there if thats what you mean but the very bottom o the derailleur reaches below that and i toggle the stuff at the handle bars yes, but the deraiilleur did move each time pressed? seemed like it was moving to change gear?
http://gyazo.com/da594a96026560939b863d97395c3db2thats mine
the bottom of the derailleur got caught which caused sress on the dropout, the deraillieur when it was operating looked similar to this
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shimano_xt_rear_derailleur.jpgbapart from mine had a plastic disc bening the chains not the very bottom of the derailleur (the lower pulley)

OP
OP
J

josh2143

If you have done nothing more to this bike other than attempt to change gear using the controls on the handlebars as you pedalled along,, then I would say no blame could be placed on you for the failure.

Reference your mention upthread of 'kik', 'smartphone', 'ipad', 'social app' go easy on us, many on here are quite old, 30+ and more.:biggrin:

haha i do understand that and thanks for the reply, i tried my best to explain but i think he was just trying to be ignorant haha thanks again

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
haha i do understand that and thanks for the reply, i tried my best to explain but i think he was just trying to be ignorant haha thanks again

Not trying....:thumbsup:

snorri

Legendary Member
No really, you lost me as well.:smile:

Welcome to the forum by the way. I know it is frustrating trying to explain bike problems in a manner which will be understood by all. There are just so many variations in cycle components nowadays but stick with it.
I hope you get your problem sorted out at minimal cost and inconvenience.

Tim Hall

i will send another photo, there is a plastic disk there if thats what you mean but the very bottom o the derailleur reaches below that and i toggle the stuff at the handle bars yes, but the deraiilleur did move each time pressed?seemed like it was moving to change gear?
http://gyazo.com/da594a96026560939b863d97395c3db2thats mine
the bottom of the derailleur got caught which caused sress on the dropout, the deraillieur when it was operating looked similar to this
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shimano_xt_rear_derailleur.jpgbapart from mine had a plastic disc bening the chains not the very bottom of the derailleur (the lower pulley)

OK, that photo tells a lot more. The bit that is broken is a derailleur hanger, not a drop out. It's a sacrificial item, if things go wrong (like your derailleur going into the wheel) it breaks, saving the frame from further damage. It should be a 5 minute job to replace, once you get the right part. Have a look here and find your bike to find your derailleur hanger.

If the derailleur got bent when it hit the spokes, you'll need a new one. Fitting that isn't too tricky either. Whether you need a new one or not, you'll need to sort out the original derailleur-going-too-far-so-it-hits-the-spokes problem.

By the way,
seemed like it was moving to change gear?
is what derailleurs do.

MaxInc

I think the piece that snapped can be replaced as mentiod previously and reasoably cheap compared to the price of the whole frame. And it is not your fault the bikes was out of adjusment, a properly adjusted and maintained bike should not allow for this to happen.

When on holliday I hired a very expensive bike and during a very steep incline I got to the last gear without realizing. When trying to change one mor gear, the derrailleur hit the plastic disc and broke it to pieces. The bike shop tried to make me pay for the damage but once I argued it should have been adjusted and hinted at the accident it could have caused, they dropped it pretty quickly.

OP
OP
J

josh2143

OK, that photo tells a lot more. The bit that is broken is a derailleur hanger, not a drop out. It's a sacrificial item, if things go wrong (like your derailleur going into the wheel) it breaks, saving the frame from further damage. It should be a 5 minute job to replace, once you get the right part. Have a look here and find your bike to find your derailleur hanger.

If the derailleur got bent when it hit the spokes, you'll need a new one. Fitting that isn't too tricky either. Whether you need a new one or not, you'll need to sort out the original derailleur-going-too-far-so-it-hits-the-spokes problem.

By the way, is what derailleurs do.

this is what i assumed but a lad said it shouldnt move,, but there is a limit right, to stop it going into the wheel? if its correctly adjusted
thanks so much for your reply by the way and i thought hanger and droput may have been the same thing? sorry, but i cant see a way on how the hanger detaches from the frame itself? it seems to be attached although it looks removable, maybe im wrong? it hit the spokes but is that because the derallieur was not adjusted in the correct way?

OP
OP
J

josh2143

I think the piece that snapped can be replaced as mentiod previously and reasoably cheap compared to the price of the whole frame. And it is not your fault the bikes was out of adjusment, a properly adjusted and maintained bike should not allow for this to happen.

When on holliday I hired a very expensive bike and during a very steep incline I got to the last gear without realizing. When trying to change one mor gear, the derrailleur hit the plastic disc and broke it to pieces. The bike shop tried to make me pay for the damage but once I argued it should have been adjusted and hinted at the accident it could have caused, they dropped it pretty quickly.

thanks for you post mat, much appreciated thanks for the help

Top Bottom