need help standing and pedalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Cadel_Evans_Bonn_Deutschlandtour_2005.jpg
A bit off topic I know, but that's a great photo! :smile: It sums up the effort involved really well.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A bit off topic I know, but that's a great photo! :smile: It sums up the effort involved really well.
Not really off topic as cadel rides crouched , i was wondering if the OP meant like that ?

Sounds like she is not comfortable pedalling standing. She probably feels she has to because you do. You sound like a confident guy with a well developed technique which works for you.
Personally, I remain seated. Shift centre of gravity forward so more energy goes downward into the pedal stroke. Concentrate on keeping shoulders absolutely still without gripping too hard and pulling. Drop heels so energy is not absorbed by ankle joint. (Not sure about this last one but someone advised so I'm trying it) Get into a rhythm.
5 points of contact with bike means no energy wasted on balance and control.
This is what works for me. It is good to try someone else's technique but if she finds it difficult, she should try something else.
My riding partner stands. He beats me on short steep hills. I often beat him on long, grim drags.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This is what works for me. It is good to try someone else's technique but if she finds it difficult, she should try something else.
My riding partner stands. He beats me on short steep hills. I often beat him on long, grim drags.
Thats what i do , on short steep stuff i am quicker standing but on a long drag of more than say 1/4 mile i would sit and spin unless of course i was after a strava segment and was not worried about how out of breath i was at the top xx(

RWright

Guru
I think her putting down more power and improving her riding style may come with more experience and confidence. If she doesn't have a lot of saddle time let her develop her muscles and sense of balance on the bike by riding more and increasing her ability. After a while you can use the "LAST ONE TO THE TOP OF THE HILL IS A ROTTEN EGG!" method and see how development is coming along.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
5 points of contact with bike means no energy wasted on balance and control.
Agree 100% Don't think you should prescribe a riding style for someone else. I very rarely stand .... rounding hairpins or crossing cattle grids excepted. My main problem when trying it out was that I didn't know what I was doing with the gears. I've since learned that, at the point of wanting to stand on a hill, you really need to change up a gear or two. Otherwise you'll be pedalling too fast to do it standing, and the "wobble" is bound to set in. It works much better for me when it feels like a steady (slowish) walk rtaher than a mad spin.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If it's the lady in your avatar then send her up to me and I'll give her some in-saddle tuition.

[QUOTE 3063057, member: 9609"]It reduces the gearing slightly and allows an input of energy from the upper body. So when you run out of gears this is the only solution.[/QUOTE]
How does it reduce the gearing?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hi guys.
Need help please.
Have a ride friend who pedals like a child when stood up. Imagine a half squat on a bike and pedalling perfrctly still body and bike locked out. No rythym or swing so to speak.

I introduced some drills slowly on a ride, one pedal at bottom coasting and leaning bike opposite. And then at a rolling speed pedal half round and change legs to get used to rolling the bike and the body Adding in afull revolution, whilst rolling the bike gently side to side on pedalling.

It works and then it gets forgotten.
Anyone have any tips to get her standing and putting power down smoothly whilst rolling the bike a tad like normal.
Much appreciated. :smile:
Sounds like they are almost in a good position for a flat out sprint to me ?

rb58

Enigma
Take her to a spin class (so long as they have proper spin bikes - Wattbikes or Keiser for example) so she can practice pedaling while standing up without having to worry about other riders and traffic. It sounds to me it's leg extension that needs to be worked on, which I guess will help her use more leg muscles than the quads which are dominating the climb. I was also taught that too much side to side is wasted energy, and i try to keep my effort in the vertical plane (I've no idea of that's correct or not though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom