need help with training schedule riding 7 days covering 65miles a day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubbles3

I have decided to do a solo charity cycle ride covering on average 65 miles a day for 7 days. Could anyone give me advice on how to train and prepare for this? The most miles I've covered in one day is 77 but I didn't go out the next day and do the same thing again. At the minute my longest ride is only 30 miles so I have a fair bit to go.
I am out 4 times a week weather permitting, 2 of these are in the dark after work so are only 15miles each.
Would you recommend doing strength training to strengthen the body as well to lessen the risk of injury?
I have just over 6 months to train for it.

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Very interested in the responses to this one ! I would like to do this myself !

zizou

Veteran
You dont need to do any strength training, just build up the miles gradually. If for example you build up your long ride by 10% per week then that isnt a huge amount to add at once but you'll be up to doing 50 milers before winter is out. When the lighter nights arrive then it gets alot easier to fit in evening rides, then around May id start doing longer rides on consecutive days, to try and replicate what it will feel like during the charity ride. This will likely be the toughest part of the training at first (starting a long ride with already tired legs) but you'll relatively quickly gain the endurance needed to feel quite comfortable doing this.

You'll find something here to follow http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/insightzone/physical_preparation/training_plans

If you are going out 4 times a week thats fine - however if the weather is poor and you are missing alot of these sessions then a turbo trainer / rollers or going to a spin class will be useful.

vickster

Legendary Member
Add swimming for fitness, some core work so you tire less quickly in the saddle?

See if last years London-Edinburgh-london lot have any tips? That's rather further over fewer days I believe

Eating and sleeping will be a challenge, plus a sore undercarriage, water retention and numb feet potentially

Where are you staying, how carrying clean kit for each day etc?

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

Add swimming for fitness, some core work so you tire less quickly in the saddle?

See if last years London-Edinburgh-london lot have any tips? That's rather further over fewer days I believe

Eating and sleeping will be a challenge, plus a sore undercarriage, water retention and numb feet potentially

Where are you staying, how carrying clean kit for each day etc?

I will likely have to carry my kit but hope to stay in B+B's. I'm still in the organising stage with that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Best train carrying a load too then I'd say

Where are you going from and too? Hilly, flat, windy etc? Need to be training on similar terrain I think once the distances are up

screenman

Legendary Member
What is your fitness now, any excess weight.

Vickster has given some good advice, one piece I would add is follow the Steve Abrahams topic and use it as inspiration on those days that you do not feel like it.

65 at say 14 mph is or should not be too taxing on a reasonable fit person.

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

Best train carrying a load too then I'd say

Where are you going from and too? Hilly, flat, windy etc? Need to be training on similar terrain I think once the distances are up

It will be a mixture of all of the above. But that's what I train in anyway

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

What is your fitness now, any excess weight.

Vickster has given some good advice, one piece I would add is follow the Steve Abrahams topic and use it as inspiration on those days that you do not feel like it.

65 at say 14 mph is or should not be too taxing on a reasonable fit person.

Not much excess weight maybe 3 or 4lbs. Just lack of fitness as lost all training from Sept till mid Nov due to recovery from surgery, then lost just over two weeks with work at Christmas and bad weather.
I'll check out Steve Abrahams topic. thank you

Top Bottom