Need to get the 'buzz' back !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So after my well documented personal problems of 3 years ago i feel the urge to get cycling again. Only been on my bike about 5 times in those 3 years so my fitness has totally disappeared and 3 stones have appeared on my body pushing me up to the 18 stone mark !

The thing is I'm struggling to take the first step, at my previous address I was only 2 minute ride from open countryside, where as now I'm in the middle of the city and traffic is certainly not an attractive option to me in cycling terms.

I fear this is just an excuse on my part to stop me taking the first ride, as I can pop my bike in the back of my car and drive out somewhere, as it's. .....its too windy or it's raining or the cold is biting .or I'm over 50 and the effort is too much......

I recently went on Strava and viewed my rides from the time before my problems and long to get back up to the regular 50 to 70 mile rides but it's going to be a very hard slog and the thought of the effort needed is daunting, as I know I will probably feel physically sick after 10 minutes or at the slightest incline.

So, looking for inspiration and any advice that will help me, the Zoe ball documentary on tv the other night was both inspirational and tear jerkingly moving as it was obviously a cause I can relate too.

View: https://youtu.be/4MJKA4f-mpY

Wish me luck and hopefully I will post my progress on here over the coming months ....if I get out !

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a new bike

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Look out for a few hours of decent weather & head out for just a few miles.

It's supposed to be decent here tomorrow so I'm planning to get out for bit - the only cycling I've done lately is commuting or shopping.

13 rider

Guru
Hi @Broughtonblue that's a coincidence I thought of you while watching the Zoe Ball program . Glad your doing well . @TVC runs social rides out of a pub at Aylestone at a relaxed pace may be just the thing for you he will be along in abit
If your in the centre of Leicester there are a lot of cyclepaths to get you out of Leicester . Head out through Abbey park ,Watermead then down the canal to Rothley and your in the countryside .
I have a council map of all the cycle routes in Leicester if you on me your address I will post it to you .

Mrs M

Guru
Go out in the rain :rain: you’ll just get wet
Once you’re out there it’s quite enjoyable and peaceful :music:
Something different should do the trick.
I got my enthusiasm back recently riding a fat bike on holiday, different and great fun :smile:

TVC

Broughton and I have previously exchanged messages about my group, he is always welcome.
As we move into spring we are going to try to coax out all our riders from last summer who only ride in the warm, and a few others who have shown interest but are unsure if they can take the pace (We do 10mph average:rolleyes:). So I will be posting a very easy ride lasting no more than 1.5 hours to get people back into the swing.

This is the kind of stuff we do:
20170618_110259.jpg

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
The desire never goes away even if the mojo does. I spent 2 years out and like you lost 'all' my fitness, except...i didn't apparently....not as much as I thought I did. What you lose more is the stamina but that could/should mostly come back with work. Maybe not to the degree you had it, but (I'm talking about myself now) we're all getting older, to hope to achieve what I did 5 years ago isn't going to happen, not at nearly 60 now. But, I can still push it, just not for as long...but then I've been tentatively getting back into it for 2 years now and still hadn't had a good year mileage worse...but on occasions have managed 15 mph average over 30 miles. This year should be better again.
No doubt it's harder, but the pleasure is still there for me.

I remember one time bawlking at the idea of going out after a layoff...i found, dont aim to go far, just aim to get on the bike and pootle, enjoy the ride even if it's only a couple miles to some shops or something. Don't pressure yourself, just enjoy it for what it is...a ride out in the sun (preferably).

Good luck, I hope you manage to 'get some in'

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Just think about how great you will feel at the end of the ride and just remember the hardest step is the one out of the front door :smile:
Good luck mate :okay:

Top Bottom