Need to get the 'buzz' back !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You'll love it once you have done the first few miles.
That is almost always true!

I started riding again in 1989 and I think there have only been a few rides in the 29 years since then when I decided that I wasn't enjoying myself and went home early. (There have been times when I had mechanical problems, illness, or the weather turned evil on me, but very rarely have I freely chosen to abandon a ride.)

lazyfatgit

Perhaps meet up with a friend for some company? It's harder to not get out when you've committed to meeting up.

Set an achievable goal. After a layoff I decided to ride the Forth and Clyde and Union canals. Took me lots of day trips exploring different sections until I was fit enough to take the train out through Glasgow and ride to Edinburgh where i got a train home.

Good luck.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
One of the great things about Leicester is you don't need to go too fa to get out into the countryside. Heading out east - Scraptoft, Hoghton on the hill shouldn't take too long...and I think there is a sustrans route. To the south you can start on the great central way...head to blaby down to countesthorpe and its pretty quiet from then on. Just go for it ....its worth it, so much nice cycling round here!

There’s only one way to do this...

Just Man Up and do it.

Set yourself an achievable ride programme and stick to it.

Don’t let ANYTHING put you off going out.

The worse the weather, the longer the distance, the greater the sense of achievement and self worth.

Plan occasional longish rides with friends so you can measure your progress.

You’ll soon be back to where you were.

Good luck. You can do it.

:training:

Graham

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Kinda lost my will atm too , turned 50 a couple of weeks ago and apart from my immediate family i got fark all congrats, in fact i only gt a text from my mum.Add on top my lingering shoulder issues and i sometime feel like just jacking it all in .

Katherine

Guru
Kinda lost my will atm too , turned 50 a couple of weeks ago and apart from my immediate family i got fark all congrats, in fact i only gt a text from my mum.Add on top my lingering shoulder issues and i sometime feel like just jacking it all in .
Do something enyoyable for yourself.

postman

Legendary Member
Just found this,you and me are the same.After my enforced rest with the Prostate,i too have lost the' will '.Been on the turbo since November and i enjoy that.But it was October when i last rode the bike in anger a measly ten miles.So i have been training ,turbo and light weights,also helping out a a cycling group.But i still have to break through that mental block,well it's going to happen very soon.Only worried about one thing,i seem to get a fast heart beat so i will be very careful,so you are not alone,all the best.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Well quick update, went out today for the 1st time and it felt good even if i was knackered after just doing 20 mins, but with the help of strava segments i cant wait to go again and batter my crap times today

Edit. Just checked my bike and got a bloody puncture

Last edited:

Serge

Über Member
Well quick update, went out today for the 1st time and it felt good even if i was knackered after just doing 20 mins, but with the help of strava segments i cant wait to go again and batter my crap times today

Good luck, keep it up!

Saluki

World class procrastinator

Spring has sprung. New tubes all round :smile:

Have a great ride when you get out and give those strava times a good pasting.

I need to get out more on the bike if I want to cycle to 302 miles to Scotland, but getting motivated is stopping me from getting out there on the bike. Going to Scotland in 3 weeks time, so I will be cycling then. Hopefully it'll carry on when I get back home.

oliglynn

Über Member
Weight loss bet with friends or colleagues is a good one to kick off a health streak. I'm currently doing one, and have lost over 1.5 stone through making healthier eating choices, and getting back into cycling and running regularly (as I want to make this a sustainable change and I really can't abide what people class as proper dieting).
I was previously making excuses not to fit exercise into my days (too much effort, too tired etc) but that is really self perpetuating. Yes it's painful at first, but after a while your energy levels will increase, and you'll have that one good ride that reminds you of the buzz you were craving in the first place, and that will only motivate you further. Good luck!

postman

Legendary Member
Just catching up with this again,all because i have had two rides.Last Thursday 32 miles Saltaire near Shipley canal path,next day Otley 24 miles road bike.The only thing that got me was the leg thigh pain,i had had a six month lay off,and i had to break through a mental barrier,i did it it was wonderful.I am now waiting for the rain to pee off so i can go out again,slowly slowly,and i also have my cycling app back,it is now downloading to Strava again,watch this space for updates.Mind you next week i have a skip coming and a garden and fencing job to complete here at home.

Top Bottom