Nene or Nen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Bugs me when the BBC can't pronounce Hull. It rhymes with bull and full, it's Hull not Haall

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Forty years ago my wife and I backed across the States. In California we asked for help finding:

yos-em-ite (like marmite)

No one helped till one guy said you mean:

yo-sem-it-ee

figbat

Slippery scientist
Down here in Poshshire we have such issues too. Would you believe that some people visit Oxford and believe that the Magdalen in Magdalen Bridge is pronounced mag-dellen (locally it is maudlin). Same goes for the river that flows under this bridge, the River Cherwell, which everyone knows is pronounced charwell.

There are also the common 'cesters', Bicester, Towcester, Gloucester, Worcester etc, which generally trips up foreign visitors. I always wonder about the truth of the much-stated mis-pronunciation of Loughborough - I was at university there for three years and never once heard any loogbaroogas, lowburrows or luffbruffs.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Like the Vale of Belvoir and Belvoir Castle which is pronounced beaver much to the amusement of Americans.
This took me on a linguistic journey - "Belvoir" is a contraction of belle voir, or beautiful view. Same goes for Belvedere (from Latin) and then I mentally arrived at Beauchamp, which of course any francophone will tell you is pronounced beecham.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There are also the common 'cesters', Bicester, Towcester, Gloucester, Worcester etc, which generally trips up foreign visitors.
Working in nearby Covent Garden, I was frequently asked by American tourists the way to 'Lie-sester square'

johnblack

Über Member
It depends where you are. At its westen end in Northamptonshire it's nen, in Cambridgshire it's more commonly neen.

Mind you, Northamptonshire has some right weird pronunciations. Cogenhoe is 'Cook-no', Althorp is 'AlltTHROP', Towcester is pronounced by outsiders as 'toe-ster' but locals pronounce the Tow as you would the word 'how'. Weirdos.

Lord only knows how youd pronounce the name of the Nene jet engine.
The accent round the villages surrounding Towcester is an amazing thing, changes from village to village but is all a version of bumpkin. Then it becomes far more Northampton like when you get to Kislingbury, Heyford and those villages on the outskirts of the Town. You go past Weedon, to Buckby and Dav and it becomes far more Coventry/B'ham. All within a radius of no more than 10 miles.

Never heard Towcester pronounced like How from anybody other than those passing through. Locals tend to pronounce it more like Toes-ter. A special breed are the locals, there is a huge love of narcotics.

Middle T's get dropped alot along with E's (pun intended), Astcote is Ascut, Eastcote is Eascut.

Locals of Rothwell call it Rowl. But that's East Northants and is a different matter all together.

And I am a local that uses M'duck far too frequently. My horizons need broadening, but I've probably left it too late.

Top Bottom