Nene or Nen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Watched a report about Nene Country Park.A friend who is Northamptonshire born an bread when I pronounced it Nene told me it was pronounced Nen

Just wondered which is correct BBC often get pronunciation of areas incorrect.For instance Groby in Leicestershire is often sounds like Growby.

Drago

Legendary Member
It depends where you are. At its westen end in Northamptonshire it's nen, in Cambridgshire it's more commonly neen.

Mind you, Northamptonshire has some right weird pronunciations. Cogenhoe is 'Cook-no', Althorp is 'AlltTHROP', Towcester is pronounced by outsiders as 'toe-ster' but locals pronounce the Tow as you would the word 'how'. Weirdos.

Lord only knows how youd pronounce the name of the Nene jet engine.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
If you want a real tongue twister, how do you pronounce Trottiscliffe - a village in Kent?

The pronunciation of Trottiscliffe, a village in Kent, is: /ˈtrɒzli/ “Trozli”.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Watched a report about Nene Country Park.A friend who is Northamptonshire born an bread when I pronounced it Nene told me it was pronounced Nen

Just wondered which is correct BBC often get pronunciation of areas incorrect.For instance Groby in Leicestershire is often sounds like Growby.
Nen as far as I know from people who lived in the area....

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you want a real tongue twister, how do you pronounce Trottiscliffe - a village in Kent?

The pronunciation of Trottiscliffe, a village in Kent, is: /ˈtrɒzli/ “Trozli”.
Or Barnoldswick

Barlick

Nen as far as I know from people who lived in the area....
I live near the Nene in Cambridgeshire and everyone round here pronounces it Neen.

Whichever way you pronounce it, the Nene is a truly beautiful river.

A5B669C8-A1FD-42F9-8062-14D1D0DA7737.jpeg

To be fair, Fotheringhay Church shown above is just inside Northamptonshire- so is Probably on the banks of the Nen. :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom