Nene or Nen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The Queen pronounces scone with the 'e', and thats good enoigh for me,

Ah but “Is this the real life, or...”

cheys03

Veteran
A long-standing topic of great debate in our household. My partner, from Northamptonshire says Nen. Her friend from Cambridgeshire says Neen, as Drago detailed. To mock them both, I (a northerner) call it the Nee Nee.
I think though, it just allowed them to set their differences aside and both mock me instead.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Down here in Poshshire we have such issues too... I always wonder about the truth of the much-stated mis-pronunciation of Loughborough - I was at university there for three years and never once heard any loogbaroogas, lowburrows or luffbruffs.
...a friend at Leicester Uni called it Lowbrow.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A long-standing topic of great debate in our household. My partner, from Northamptonshire says Nen. Her friend from Cambridgeshire says Neen, as Drago detailed. To mock them both, I (a northerner) call it the Nee Nee.
I think though, it just allowed them to set their differences aside and both mock me instead.
Have even more fun calling it the nēnē ; I love the noise it makes.
https://www.xeno-canto.org/314511

gbb

Legendary Member
I live near the Nene in Cambridgeshire and everyone round here pronounces it Neen.

Whichever way you pronounce it, the Nene is a truly beautiful river.

View attachment 548866
To be fair, Fotheringhay Church shown above is just inside Northamptonshire- so is Probably on the banks of the Nen. :smile:
A few years ago i missed an absolute beauty of an opportunity to take a memorable photo of that church.
I was headed home, nervously looking ahead at the black threatening cloud behind the church...in the direction i was cycling. All of a sudden a shaft of brilliant sunlight perfectly lit up the church, making it stand out terrifically against the black thunderous backdrop.

By the time i stopped, got my phone out, faffed around...the shaft of sunlight faded and the opportunity was gone forever.
Bah...

Peterborough, it's the Nene of course, Northants its the Nen. I wonder at which point it becomes one or the other ?

Top Bottom