Yorkshire dialect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My great grandmother was born in Earby(in 1889),which is now a guest of the red rose county,as you'll probably know.:okay: Her maiden name was Marsden. Is it a Yorkshire name i wonder?🤔
White and Red Rose Counties

"Marsden Name Meaning

English: habitational name from places in Lancashire and West Yorkshire, so named from Old English mearc ‘boundary’ (see Mark 2) + denu ‘valley’ (see Dean 1), i.e. a valley forming a natural boundary."

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My mum was born in the 1920s and said when she was a lass, she could tell whether someone came from Marsden or Slaithwaite (pronounced slawit) as soon as they open'd their gob.
Ah, that brings back memories!
I was out on a pre-GPS tour of the hills of West Yorkshire and had just descended a nightmarishly steep hill near Huddersfield. I didn't fancy having to go back up it so I sought the help of an elderly pedestrian ...

ColinJ: Excuse me please - How far are we from Slaithwaite?

Man: Sorry, never 'eard of it. Say it again...

Me, trying harder: Slay-th-wait?

Man: No... Spell it out.

Me: S-L-A-I-T-H-W-A-I-T-E?

Man: Oh, Slough-it - you're 'ere - THIS is Slough-it. Why didn't you say that!

Me (speechless): :wacko:

Try catching a train to Sowerby Bridge, from Manchester.
Sow (rhyming with 'cow')-er-bee vs Saw-be?

byegad

Legendary Member
On holiday in Norfolk, we stopped for lunch and a pint. Local said wearm you cum from?
I replied Fulmodeston, the place our cottage was located. He looked at me like I was stupid and said, you mean Fumiston!

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
OK, I suspect Richard Thackeray will know this, but for everyone else who knows what tusky is?

Well I do now after looking it up but I have never heard it called that before, that Barry Manilow has a lot to answer for, oh sorry thats a different triangle.

classic33

Leg End Member
You’re on the right track, but I won’t force the issue :okay:
A word in the elephant's ear maybe.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I worked in a wine bar in Cowling near Keighley,in the mid to late 1980's. The locals were friendly(ish). Some took a shine to me because i was an outsider with a different accent. One insisted that Accrington was part of Manchester:rolleyes:. I wasn't going to argue with him because he reminded me of this chap. Imagine this being said to you,but in a Yorkshire accent!:eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom