Yorkshire dialect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I worked in a wine bar in Cowling near Keighley, in the mid to late 1980's. The locals were friendly(ish). Some took a shine to me because i was an outsider with a different accent. One insisted that Accrington was part of Manchester:rolleyes:. I wasn't going to argue with him because he reminded me of this chap. Imagine this being said to you,but in a Yorkshire accent!:eek:

North Yorkshire, but the West Riding!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
North Yorkshire, but the West Riding!
So confusing! :wacko: :okay:

There were only 3 'foreigners' in the village. Me,the bar owner from London and the Chinese bloke who ran the chippy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Doesn’t Manchester start about Chorley and go down nearly to Crewe?
The cycling club i was a member of and one day hope to rejoin is called North Lancashire Road Club. People ask why 'North Lancs' when it's based in east Lancashire and serves the Blackburn, Hyndburn, Pendle and Ribble Valley areas.

The reason is because when it was formed in the 1950's those areas were 'north',compared to Manchester in the south of Lancashire and Liverpool in the west. Nowadays the north of Lancashire is Lancaster and Morecambe,while Manchester and Liverpool became 'counties' in their own right in 1973/74.

classic33

Leg End Member
The cycling club i was a member of and one day hope to rejoin is called North Lancashire Road Club. People ask why 'North Lancs' when it's based in east Lancashire and serves the Blackburn, Hyndburn, Pendle and Ribble Valley areas.

The reason is because when it was formed in the 1950's those areas were 'north',compared to Manchester in the south of Lancashire and Liverpool in the west. Nowadays the north of Lancashire is Lancaster and Morecambe,while Manchester and Liverpool became 'counties'* in their own right in 1973/74.
Liverpool was a County Borough from 1889. And from the 1st April 1974, became a metropolitan borough within the newly created metropolitan county of Merseyside.

Besides, this be a White Rose County thread, not Red Rose!!!

Besides, this be a White Rose County thread, not Red Rose!!!
I think you will find that over the years there has been quite a bit of furtive cross-breeding.
I am from Lancs but right on the border - many phrases I remember from my childhood turn out to be claimed by yorkshire.

April Fools Day 1974 is to blame for that, they moved the border on us.
whinging yorkshire - just look at what happened to Lancashire - used to be the centre of the world (I am not exaggerating) with the powerhouses of Liverpool and Manchester - the latter the world's first industrial city. And had bits of what is now Cumbria. Now it is pretty much all rural with small towns. Something of a backwater, if very nice with it.

D

Deleted member 26715

whinging yorkshire - just look at what happened to Lancashire - used to be the centre of the world (I am not exaggerating) with the powerhouses of Liverpool and Manchester - the latter the world's first industrial city. And had bits of what is now Cumbria. Now it is pretty much all rural with small towns. Something of a backwater, if very nice with it.
Precisely look what you did, you lost the lot & let bloody mob darn sarf take over

classic33

Leg End Member
whinging yorkshire - just look at what happened to Lancashire - used to be the centre of the world (I am not exaggerating) with the powerhouses of Liverpool and Manchester* - the latter the world's first industrial city. And had bits of what is now Cumbria. Now it is pretty much all rural with small towns. Something of a backwater, if very nice with it.
*The one time murder capital of the world. Higher than Chicago at one time.

Bradford, the "Wool Capital of The World" for many a year.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's an area in Sheffield called Lydgate, which is easy to pronounce as long as you remember that the G belongs to the first syllable.

Top Bottom