Nene or Nen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Oh one that got me.I was on a three day holiday bike ride Leeds to Bridlington.Two night stay.So one of my old mates lived in Atwick.So i could not find his place at all.So i pops into the local Post Office.Excuse me could you tell me where blah blah road Atwick is,steam comes from her ears,ATTIC is how it is pronounced,scolded i went on my way.
1600956790584.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My general rule of thumb is that if there are two ways of pronouncing any names listen to the BBC version and do the opposite. Generally works for me anyway.

It's Neen - well in this deepest corner of Cambridgeshire anyways. :smile:

And in Hampshire, Alresford is pronounced Awlsford. If I take the bus from Alton heading out that way, I usually make folk goggle when pronouncing it in a broad Cambridgeshire accent. :laugh:

Chris S

Legendary Member
I always wonder about the truth of the much-stated mis-pronunciation of Loughborough - I was at university there for three years and never once heard any loogbaroogas, lowburrows or luffbruffs.
That could be down to Sarah Kennedy. She said on air that an Australian tourist had asked he the way to Loo-gah-boh-roo.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Watched a report about Nene Country Park.A friend who is Northamptonshire born an bread when I pronounced it Nene told me it was pronounced Nen

Just wondered which is correct BBC often get pronunciation of areas incorrect.For instance Groby in Leicestershire is often sounds like Growby.
Locals call it "Nen". I lived in N'pton for 3 years, and previously thought it was "Neen". And Groby is "Grew-be"

Top Bottom