Nephew can't ride a bike ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levad

Veteran
My nephew is 13 and cannot ride a bike. I have just had an email from my sister who says that they are thinking of getting him a recumbent trike so he can go out with his mates. Does anyone have any recommendations? Type, supplier etc. They are near Southampton.

Ta.

byegad

Legendary Member
Depends on how much they want to spend and how tall he is. A tall 13 year old could ride either of my trikes, but you're looking at around £2k for either new. The cheapest new trike is the £320 KMX, for just over £1100 there's a Catrike. Both the KMX Storm, Cyclone and Catrike Dash are limited for rider height. As with anything I'd expect you get what you pay for, although KMX are heavily built and, from what I've heard, hard to break, they will be harder work on hills due to the weight.
Second hand trikes do come up but not that often. I'd be iffy about buying some internet only available trikes that come up on such as ebay without a careful inspection for design values and build quality.

mark barker

KMX trikes are good fun, and as their website suggests they're the 3 wheeled BMXs of this world. I've not tried their more expensive models, but the old 6 speed 20" wheeled model I had a play with was huge fun riding through the woods!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Sit him on a bike and push him down the nearest hill, telling him to watch out for the bend at the bottom. He'll soon get the hang of it!! :laugh: ;)

Deary me, and I thought I was old learning when I was 8!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
My nephew is 13 and cannot ride a bike. I have just had an email from my sister who says that they are thinking of getting him a recumbent trike so he can go out with his mates. Does anyone have any recommendations? Type, supplier etc. They are near Southampton.

Ta.

Is that 'cannot ride a bike' as in 'has some mitigating physical issue that prevents him from using a normal bike' or as in 'has not yet got around to learning'.

£425 sees him sorted with a two wheeler Estrellita 2 wheel recumbent, suitable for kids up to about 5ft 2. KMX is the cheapest entry point in the trike world.

OP
OP
levad

levad

Veteran
Is that 'cannot ride a bike' as in 'has some mitigating physical issue that prevents him from using a normal bike' or as in 'has not yet got around to learning'.

£425 sees him sorted with a two wheeler Estrellita 2 wheel recumbent, suitable for kids up to about 5ft 2. KMX is the cheapest entry point in the trike world.

I don't know why he cannot ride a bike, I need to find that out!! I will pass on the info gleaned so far, thanks folks.

OP
OP
levad

levad

Veteran
I don't know why he cannot ride a bike, I need to find that out!! I will pass on the info gleaned so far, thanks folks.

I think he suffers from dyspraxia, some suffers are unable to coordinate enough to ride on 2 wheels. They are waiting to hear if and when they can try a KMX.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think he suffers from dyspraxia, some suffers are unable to coordinate enough to ride on 2 wheels. They are waiting to hear if and when they can try a KMX.

If he has it bad, then a trike might be just the thing - and a KMX has the advantage of being the cheapest, and actually intended to be thrown about a bit - many other trikes might be a bit too 'precious'. As a Catrike Dash owner, I can heartily recommend it, but I don't tend to ride it off kerbs and so on.

One thought though - how has he tried to learn? If he's tried to master it all in one go it might well be too much for him - it might be worth seeing if he's ever tried the scooting method (pedals off, saddle low, scoot the bike along to get the feel of balance and steering. When confident free wheeling and 'running' the bike along, pedals can go back on).

If he's tried this, apologies for the presumption.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If he has it bad, then a trike might be just the thing - and a KMX has the advantage of being the cheapest, and actually intended to be thrown about a bit - many other trikes might be a bit too 'precious'. As a Catrike Dash owner, I can heartily recommend it, but I don't tend to ride it off kerbs and so on.

One thought though - how has he tried to learn? If he's tried to master it all in one go it might well be too much for him - it might be worth seeing if he's ever tried the scooting method (pedals off, saddle low, scoot the bike along to get the feel of balance and steering. When confident free wheeling and 'running' the bike along, pedals can go back on).

Just to clarify (and potentially save a broken leg) Arch's learning approach should NOT be attempted on a trike, or indeed any recumbent.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'd echo the suggestion for the KMX. Cheap, designed for abuse and the weight won't matter if he's got the energy typical of a 13yo.

MartinG

If he's tried to master it all in one go it might well be too much for him - it might be worth seeing if he's ever tried the scooting method (pedals off, saddle low, scoot the bike along to get the feel of balance and steering. When confident free wheeling and 'running' the bike along, pedals can go back on).

If he's tried this, apologies for the presumption.

+1 (worked brilliantly for my kids)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just to clarify (and potentially save a broken leg) Arch's learning approach should NOT be attempted on a trike, or indeed any recumbent.

Yikes! Yes, thanks for making that point!

Not sure anyone would need it on a trike though...

Having said that, I had to teach a chap at work to ride our upright trikes, and he did keep trying to put a foot down when he stopped.

Top Bottom