Nervous about road surfaces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doctornige

I took a road bike up Chew Road in Stalybridge on NYD with no ill effects. In fact, I got a top ten Strava time on it. Come April, watch the Paris-Roubaix to understand how much punishment a road bike can take before it dies. As a previous poster said, the rider will flake before the bike. Just learn to bunny hop the big stuff or you might bend a wheel.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
you will be fine with a bit of common sense

Gary E

Veteran
As an old mate of mine always says - try it, see what happens :smile:

Just take it easy to begin with and learn the limitations of the bike (and you).

A road bike will not corner quite so well at speed as your Hybrid (or at least it'll seem that way until you get the balance right). I found I had to take a wider line into a corner on my skinny road tyres than I did on my chubby Hybrid ones. I also found that the brakes were not as effective especially in the wet (again this just needed getting used to and compensating by pulling them a bit harder).

It's a personal thing and depends on the particular bike and the riders experience. Hope this helps a little :thumbsup:

Onthedrops

Veteran
The way I look at it (a beginner myself and definitely no expert)

I too own a Triban. My philosophy is that the bike is labelled as a road bike, therefore, it will only be ridden on the road.

It's all psychological, I've taken my road bike through woods (as there was no other option) and I still don't think that is as rough as cobbles that get raced on. On the Manchester 100 I had a couple of small slides on white lines greased with rain and mud, but I stayed upright, only drifted. The only issue I have with surfaces is psychological.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Most gravel tracks and even grassy meadows will be less rough than the average British road and fine for even 23c wheels - IF ridden over reasonably slowly. Canal paths etc. will be no problem and I think the real limit is when the amount of vibration passed onto your arms\backside is uncomfortable. don't worry about the bike, as others have said, they are less fragile than they appear.

Agreed, a road bike will take a fair amount of abuse and canal paths, many bridleways, farm tracks and footpaths, trails like the Camel Trail and Tarka trail are easy on a road bike with a little care. Thing to watch for are sudden lumps that'll cause snake-bite punctures where the tyre bottoms-out against the rim pinching the tube.
I agree that so far that wheels are the Triban's achilles heel, check spoke tension regularly in the first months and install some better cones and fresh bearings (cheap as chips).

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Before I knew better I rode towpaths and gravelled ex railway cycle paths on 18mm tyres - with no ill effect. Just avoid potholes and the obvious rough stuff. The most difficult surface is loose gravel/chippings thoughtlesly used to 'repair' cycle routes.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It'll handle most things. Road bikes are very tough, much tougher than most people think. If your going to end up riding on looser surfaces, it might be worth considering going to a 25 or even a 28 tyre as it'll be more stable. Your only real risk of riding poor surfaces is a higher chance of punctures, but better tyres can help lessen that.

We have a couple of Triban 3s here. They seem to handle most surfaces. I was really impressed with the way they managed some of what we threw at them over Christmas... just had to take it sensibly... still managed a QOM section on strava along that!

IMG_5036.JPG

The wheels don't like the nasty tarmac 'sleeping policemen' speed bumps - those semi circular ones that were the very first type. we have 8 on our lane and I am convinced they are the main reason I have to re-true our wheels once a month or so, especially after seeing how fast my husband hits them!

If it is paved, the bike will be fine to ride on it. Road bikes are not as fragile as some nancy's will have you believe!

Road bikes are absolutely rubbish once you get them outside the front door, stick it on a turbo and stay indoors just to be on the safe side :whistle: .. you can still wear your replica team kit

Just get out and ride the fecking thing :thumbsup:

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi....I too have a fairly new Triban3 and live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by country lanes and dodgy 'B' roads.

After a few tooth rattling rides I started to wonder just HOW much grief a skinny tired, cheap wheeled road-bike could take. After 2 months of horrendous weather my local roads now resemble the trenches from WW1......BUT...Triban wheels are still round! Only my fillings are loose!

By all accounts...bicycle wheels are stronger than you'd think?

HTH

w

Top Bottom