Nervous riding on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A rider wobbling along in the gutter on a bike is no good to man nor beast.
Now that's what I call knocking! Where are the critics now? It's a bit harsh too - it is a little good because it gets you from A to B but it probably puts you at unnecessary risk. Skills training can help avoid it.

Also, is there ever a right time to catch a bad driver and start a so-called "road rage" incident? I think not and especially not in a country where law allows more to carry a gun.

Lets cut to chase - there is a risk, albeit a small one - you need to decide if the fun factor and health benefits make that risk worthwhile.
You can do things to make that risk smaller - day light flashers, and choosing when you cycle.

I took out some cycling related insurance - which insures me (but not the bike) - if anything happens (Death - Serious Injury) to me - my family get a fixed payout (as a benefit not a claim) - it doesn't reduce the risk one iota - but for some perverse reason it made me feel better !!!

silva

Über Member
When alot traffic coming from all directions and I have to cross it then I start talk to myself loud (well not yelling just that I can hear it), "left", "right", "front", "back", and "wait" when needed. I hold my eye on the closest (potential) danger and don't look elswehere until it's gone, then I move that attention to a next, until I see a gap to cross.
It's a kinda discipline, and it helps to not be lazy / to not "assume".

Top Bottom