Nervous riding on the road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They've not said they haven't sought a training course.
Nor have they said they have.

What such a course cannot give is what is being asked for, confidence on the roads when cycling.
Oh yes it can (is it panto season already? :laugh: )

Why knock someone for trying,
I have not. Why imply that I have? It's great that anyone tries. Some of the scaremongering, not so much.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nor have they said they have.

Oh yes it can (is it panto season already? :laugh: )

I have not. Why imply that I have?
I ride on roads that you have said you wouldn't feel safe on, lack of confidence for that type of road on your part maybe?

The scare mongering you mention, is simply other folk adding how they overcame the initial fear of riding on the roads, gaining the confidence to continue cycling on the roads. It doesn't come quick and can be wiped in seconds. No training course covers that.

If a person does all they feel like doing to gain the confidence, who are we to knock them for trying?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I ride on roads that you have said you wouldn't feel safe on, lack of confidence for that type of road on your part maybe?
I don't remember what you're referring to but I suspect a misunderstanding.

The scare mongering you mention, is simply other folk adding how they overcame the initial fear of riding on the roads, gaining the confidence to continue cycling on the roads.
That's not how it's written.

If a person does all they feel like doing to gain the confidence, who are we to knock them for trying?
Who are you to imply I'm knocking the triers?

Some practical suggestions:
  • Get a mirror each
  • Look at something that widens your bike's footprint. Some people have had success with pool noodles.
  • Plan your routes carefully, focusing on shoulders. Cycle.travel is very good at creating quiet routes (even in the U.S.) and you can click on any point and see Google Street View.
  • Treat everyone else on the road as a drooling idiot. You will not be disappointed.
  • Leave the testosterone at home. No matter how right you are just about every automobile can seriously maim you. Or worse.
  • Contact a club or consider starting one. Tap into every cycling resource you can to increase your knowledge and make contacts.
  • Get a bike rack for your car and bring the bikes to better, safer places.
  • I'm loathe to say it, but consider a personalised message on the back of your jacket "I'm the father/grandfather of X children".
  • Always have a full water bottle for dogs. For squirting, not drinking!
Oh, and don't forget to enjoy it! 😀

Slick

Guru
Some practical suggestions:
  • Get a mirror each
  • Look at something that widens your bike's footprint. Some people have had success with pool noodles.
  • Plan your routes carefully, focusing on shoulders. Cycle.travel is very good at creating quiet routes (even in the U.S.) and you can click on any point and see Google Street View.
  • Treat everyone else on the road as a drooling idiot. You will not be disappointed.
  • Leave the testosterone at home. No matter how right you are just about every automobile can seriously maim you. Or worse.
  • Contact a club or consider starting one. Tap into every cycling resource you can to increase your knowledge and make contacts.
  • Get a bike rack for your car and bring the bikes to better, safer places.
  • I'm loathe to say it, but consider a personalised message on the back of your jacket "I'm the father/grandfather of X children".
  • Always have a full water bottle for dogs. For squirting, not drinking!
Oh, and don't forget to enjoy it! 😀
Sounds like fun. :eek:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For the benefit of the uninitiated. SMIDSY = Sorry Mate I Didn't See You. Excuse used by drivers post collision.

As to clothing, if you fancy wearing a hi vis jacket and it makes you feel good, do so. I have a windproof high vis gilet with with a ton of pockets that I really like. Just don't make any assumptions regarding the behaviour of other road users as a result.

Sounds like fun. :eek:
I'm currently in the U.S. and I'll tell you that it was certainly a culture shock.
This is such a car centric society that there is little awareness of the basic needs of those on a bicycle.

Personally, I think that a lot of drivers are ignorant of cyclists as opposed to malicious (although there are a handful of those too).

Having said that, some of the riding is simply epic!

The OP is right to have concerns, in my opinion, but is also correct in trying to do something to alleviate those concerns.

They could do worse than read some of the Blogs on CrazyGuyOnABike for inspiration.

Slick

Guru
I'm currently in the U.S. and I'll tell you that it was certainly a culture shock.
This is such a car centric society that there is little awareness of the basic needs of those on a bicycle.

Personally, I think that a lot of drivers are ignorant of cyclists as opposed to malicious (although there are a handful of those too).

Having said that, some of the riding is simply epic!

The OP is right to have concerns, in my opinion, but is also correct in trying to do something to alleviate those concerns.

They could do worse than read some of the Blogs on CrazyGuyOnABike for inspiration.
I'm sure you are quite correct which makes me feel even more grateful to cycle where I do despite the odd warrior on the commute. I have cycled a tiny bit in the U.S but only in Florida which was okay for me mainly because you could fit a 3 lane Scottish motorway in one of their highways, which is great. The heat, not so much. :sweat:

carpenter

Über Member
If possible choose your cycling time carefully (my cycling is leisure only:smile:).
Very noticeable that there are more aggressive drivers about during commuting times - one of my routes is on an A road coming from a railway station, despite 30mph limits it is quite scary between 17.00 and 19.00.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As you have correctly surmised choosing suitable roads to cycle on is key. Is there a local cycling club or shop you could chat with to get some ideas? I'm sure there are plenty of quiet roads just waiting to be discovered by you and your wife.

Reactions: C R

8mph

Veteran
Driving is usually at its worst during rush hour in areas with congestion and there's often a preceding spate of fast driving around school pick up time.

Research popular routes that other cyclists are using and enjoy your new bikes!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... I have had 3 accidents I would consider serious..a broken pelvis due to carelessness, 2 cracked ribs from being hit by a car turning into the dawn sun
A sterling bit of advice I got from someone on CC is...
Bike%2BSikes.jpg

...your shadow points towards the road users who are likely to be dazzled by the sun :okay:

Last edited:

Bonus

Veteran
Just a couple of points from me:

1) You need have some confidence to ride amongst the traffic. Build up your confidence on back roads if necessary but make sure you have some. A rider wobbling along in the gutter on a bike is no good to man nor beast.

2) Make sure your bike fits you properly. You need to be able to touch the ground when necessary - not just "hope for a kerb and hope for the best".

3) Don't take anything for granted - think for everyone else and assume they are all either partially sighted or partially psychopathic.

4) Leave your ego at home. It's a hard one because most of us, whether we admit it or not, have an ego. You are going to have to learn to "let things go" much of the time. If you try and catch every guy that passes too close to you - so that you can "sort him out" your rides are going to be miserable. Of course there will be times when "a word at the next set of traffic lights" is the right thing to do - but do it with clear eyesight, not through a red mist.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom