Netherlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I’m totally jealous of the cycling infrastructure here, I couldn’t bring my roadie as no room in the car and S-Max can’t take a rear bike holder.

I have rented a bike and literally cycled for miles it’s so easy it’s fantastic.

I had my daughter on a seat mounted on the back and we have spent hours going from town to town having a cycle adventure as she puts it.

I want to move here.

snorri

Legendary Member
It is important that you inform your local councillors and MP of your findings when you get home:smile:.

Slick

Guru
I’m totally jealous of the cycling infrastructure here, I couldn’t bring my roadie as no room in the car and S-Max can’t take a rear bike holder.

I have rented a bike and literally cycled for miles it’s so easy it’s fantastic.

I had my daughter on a seat mounted on the back and we have spent hours going from town to town having a cycle adventure as she puts it.

I want to move here.
I might just plan a long weekend just to check it out.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The infrastructure is brilliant but it suits a more relaxed riding style.

When I've been over there, the roadies were usually on the roads.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is important that you inform your local councillors and MP of your findings when you get home:smile:.
Before any local council in the UK decides to put in a cycle path. They should put the planners on a cheap day return to Denmark on Ryanair. The planners here really know what they are doing. There is no begging or pleading with councils to put cycle paths in. I think all the planners must cycle to work. Cycle paths spring up out of nowhere. But in places that they are needed. They are made well and often have very subtle floor lighting that cannot be seen from the road.

Got my third annual trip round netheNether in July.
Cycle tracks are wide,well maintained and signposted.
Great place to cycle with loads of wildlife.
Suppose due to lower population density than us they can build this way

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Netherlands population density 415/km2, UK 271/km2.

No, I think it's more clueful politicians.

Drago

Legendary Member
Before any local council in the UK decides to put in a cycle path. They should put the planners on a cheap day return to Denmark on Ryanair. The planners here really know what they are doing. There is no begging or pleading with councils to put cycle paths in. I think all the planners must cycle to work. Cycle paths spring up out of nowhere. But in places that they are needed. They are made well and often have very subtle floor lighting that cannot be seen from the road.

The typical UK council would send their staff on a "fact finding" mission via Heffner Class air travel, and put them up in the Imelda Marcos suite of a 5 star hotel.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Holland is the 8th most densly populated country in europe

Was in Amsterdam last week and was so jealous of the bike routes. It just felt so easy to use and get around locally by any method apart from the car.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
The infrastructure is brilliant but it suits a more relaxed riding style.

When I've been over there, the roadies were usually on the roads.

True but I have had daughter on the back so going slow, I have seen many club riders using the cycleways and going at a decent pace.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's nothing to do with population density, it's to do with the flatness of the land and even the stupidest Dutch citizen understanding that it's quicker, cheaper, healthier and more convenient on a bicycle. Unfortunately quite large parts of the UK are hilly so only a tiny tiny minority enjoys cycling and does it mostly for fun.

Top Bottom