Never mind the rain, what about the Spam shortage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
No if you were a Desert Rat and served with Monty , it was a can of Bully ( corned beef) not that dreadful American spam. My Dad told me the Yank’s loved our Bully , you could trade a whole lorry load of spam for one can of Bully Beef .
I've been rumbled:sad:.
My father was there too, but I don't remember him telling me anything about the food:smile:.

No if you were a Desert Rat and served with Monty , it was a can of Bully ( corned beef) not that dreadful American spam. My Dad told me the Yank’s loved our Bully , you could trade a whole lorry load of spam for one can of Bully Beef .
After years of bully beef, American Spam was considered a luxury item. Maggie recalls Spam as a wartime delicacy.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My father was there too, but I don't remember him telling me anything about the food:smile:.
Your lucky I got a LOT of stories, about the food the flies and everything else about the North African Desert. In fact I have no need to visit myself I feel I have experienced it already. :laugh:

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It wasn’t a hard story to unpick. You’d be very old if it was true.
How many desert rats are still alive. Can’t be very many.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Having had a supermarket shopping delivery yesterday with about 1/3 of the items 'swapped' I'm guessing there are shortages of items all over.
Agreed.
I do online shopping, (ASDA) on behalf of a vulnerable relative. This week:

bananas out of stock
Cooking foil out of stock
Semi skimmed milk out of stock
Toilet rolls out of stock

D

Deleted member 26715

Having had a supermarket shopping delivery yesterday with about 1/3 of the items 'swapped' I'm guessing there are shortages of items all over.
Strange, we've just had a delivery & it's the first time this year we've not had any swaps, all the order fulfilled, including a bottle of Brandy which I hadn't ordered & tried to return, but was told he had no idea whose it was & I should just keep it.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Strange, we've just had a delivery & it's the first time this year we've not had any swaps, all the order fulfilled, including a bottle of Brandy which I hadn't ordered & tried to return, but was told he had no idea whose it was & I should just keep it.
IT‘S MINE . Don’t you dare open it , I’ll be round to pick it up.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I loved Spam fritters when I was a sproglet.
About 23 years ago, the chip shop around the corner from work did them, so I did the deed one lunchtime.
Ye Gods! It was like deep-fried lard soaked in oil, then battered in more lard.
I was underwhelmed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom