Never mind the rain, what about the Spam shortage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Agreed.
I do online shopping, (ASDA) on behalf of a vulnerable relative. This week:

bananas out of stock

Apologies but a member of our household has been buying them up.

59DE88F5-2CE1-4710-8971-EC49DCF1D07B.jpeg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Spam... wow, people still eat that? Is there a shortage of proper ham where they are or something?

My Dad used to fry slices of Spam for sandwiches when i was little, it was okay if it was crispy enough. And only if there wasn't *actual* ham in the house.
But it's not 1979 any more, so I don't feel the need to eat the spongy, pink mush.

freiston

Veteran
If you go right to the back of the supermarket, bottom shelf in the corner, you will probably find the Spam filter shelf full of Spam - but beware, anything over 30 days old gets automatically binned.

freiston

Veteran
Every time I click on an Ebay link in a forum post!
1615133296847.png

snorri

Legendary Member
My Dad used to fry slices of Spam for sandwiches when i was little, it was okay if it was crispy enough. And only if there wasn't *actual* ham in the house. But it's not 1979 any more,
Reminds me of a hotel in Golspie where I stayed for a couple of months when working away from home.
Thursday was Spam Fritters day, every Thursday, but that was back in 1964, it wasn't nouvelle cuisine then, but by 1979????:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:.

classic33

Leg End Member
My primary school, 1962-1967 used to feed us Spam fritters every Monday. Lumpy mash and bullet hard peas.
I hated it, but it was either eat it or go hungry.
Meat pies on monday's, Salad on Wednesday, Spam fritters on Thursday's, fish on Friday's.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Reminds me of a hotel in Golspie where I stayed for a couple of months when working away from home.
Thursday was Spam Fritters day, every Thursday, but that was back in 1964, it wasn't nouvelle cuisine then, but by 1979????:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:.
Spam fritters were slices of spam dipped in batter and fried though, right? They were awful as they preserved the spongy pink mass inside, in the original soft state.
My dad was frying the spam bare, getting it all crisp, somehow it was bearable then. Not that he was a good cook. His idea of great cuisine, his favourite dinner, was cooked potato and raw eggs fried together, egg and potato hash. He would cover it in HP sauce.

And we wonder why the UK has a reputation for bad food. My goodness it's come on in just a few decades, and thank goodness for that.

Top Bottom