New arrival: Dawes Galaxy - age unknown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This afternoon I picked up a new bike - described as a "Dawes with no pedal footpieces", a 24" frame and blurred photos. Well ... it wasn't 24"; it's a 22" framed restored bike and probably an early Dawes Galaxy, re-painted in a metallic pinky-red.

Frame number MS(?)9269 and a '531 Renovated' frame sticker it's been re-built at some point with new shifters, crankset, RSX front derailleur (not holding) and Simplex rear and 1980's brake levers. Everything is a bit 'sticky', wheels look new/unused and the Gatorskin 27 1/4 tyres appear new. Brakes are Weinmann, the stem is a GB one and the bars slightly flared. The restoration build looks to be a mis-match with cables fitted incorrectly to a mixture of new (crank/front derailleur/levers/shifters) and old (rear derailleur/bars ?) parts and done in the mid-1990's but with no evidence of use since.

Age? I've no clue. The re-paint's in good order but needs a good clean and everything getting moving, plus a new saddle and bar tape.

Any suggestions on age and whether it actually is a Dawes Galaxy Tour would be appreciated.

DSCF6155.JPG
DSCF6156.JPG
DSCF6157.JPG
DSCF6158.JPG

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd guess 70s. I presume someone has fitted an under bottom-bracket cable guide: I can see a stop for a cable outer on the down-tube.
Dawes often used 531 main tubes only.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The 1973 Galaxy that @Ian H has linked to looks like a good match for the details on the frame and fork. All I can add is that the colour and logos match my 1997 Galaxy so 97 or 98 seem likely for the date of the refurbishment.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I'd guess 70s. I presume someone has fitted an under bottom-bracket cable guide: I can see a stop for a cable outer on the down-tube..

Yes, a Raleigh one's been fitted.

Very nice. Definitely looks like a Galaxy, early to mid 70’s.
The lugs look identical to the one in the link
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/254082373278
Does it have bottle cage mounts?

Thanks. No bottle cage mounts fitted. And if that's worth £500 mine's a good buy :okay:

I'd guessed around the early 70's due to wheels, lugs (similar to the Carlton I'm restoring to an orange fixie) and the fork light mount.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

After a quick update it's now done:

- Everything cleaned and lubricated. The sticky crank was down to the LH one, all sorted.
- New Dawes Heritage saddle
- New bar tape
- Wheel rims polished so they gleam

Whenever it was re-built lots of grease and lubricant must have been used - it was all still nicely greased.

DSCF6161.JPG
DSCF6162.JPG

Plans? I've none and most likely it'll be on sale once the weather turns to Spring.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm going with early eighties.

It's an odd mix of components, but Galaxy's of all eras can be that way, so I'd hesitate to say whether its standard or has had the bolt ons changed over the years.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm going with early eighties.

It's an odd mix of components, but Galaxy's of all eras can be that way, so I'd hesitate to say whether its standard or has had the bolt ons changed over the years.
Agree, but possibly slightly earlier as the colour and the lamp braze on on the fork may indicate a late 70's model.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm pretty sure that colour and decal set rightly belong on a late model Galaxy with cantilever brakes. I can recall admiring a one-owner example last summer. Agree if it is a Galaxy frame, it's much earlier because of the brake arrangement and the light bracket boss on the fork. Looks like someone had an old one and fancied doing it up in the style of the current model at the time - but using a much earlier bike as a base.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure that colour and decal set rightly belong on a late model Galaxy with cantilever brakes. I can recall admiring a one-owner example last summer. Agree if it is a Galaxy frame, it's much earlier because of the brake arrangement and the light bracket boss on the fork. Looks like someone had an old one and fancied doing it up in the style of the current model at the time - but using a much earlier bike as a base.
Or had their much loved Galaxy repainted as it was getting a bit scruffy.

Top Bottom