New Bianchi build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spotted an unused Bianchi Methanol frame on eBay for 350 notes and couldn't resist. I've been contemplating a hardtail for a while and this seems to fit the bill nicely!

It's a Methanol 27.5 SX, 2016 I think, in matte black with a few red and celeste highlights. Here's a photo from the advert:

Screenshot_20190628-103224_eBay.jpg

I've also found some unused RockShox SID RL's and purchased those too...

Screenshot_20190628-185506_eBay.jpg

I've got some XTR Di2 shifters and front mech from a previous project so I'll source a second hand rear mech, battery and other bits. I fancy building some carbon rims on to Hope Pro 4 hubs, and will likely go with my usual choice of Hope brakes :laugh:

Exciting... ^_^ Frame and forks should arrive sometime next week... :becool:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Excellent, looking forward to this.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got to work out whether it's possible to convert these SID RL's to remote lockout next... The kits seem to exist but there seem to be several different ones, bit confusing :laugh:

Any ideas? This is the top of the fork leg...

Screenshot_20190628-215918_eBay.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
A few more bits bought today so here's what I've got so far...

RockShox SID RL Solo Air forks, 100mm travel
XTR M9050 Di2 shifters
XTR M9050 Di2 front mech and mount adaptor
XTR M9000 28/38 chainset
Hope XC stem
FSA headset
Wheels MFG bottom bracket

Bits I still need to decide on and source are:

Wheels - quite set on Hope hubs, considering building some in to carbon rims
Brakes - Hope, probably Race Evo E4's
Rear mech, XTR M9050 Di2
Di2 Battery, probably DN-110 internal
Di2 display, need to investigate this, think they have built in wireless?
Bars - not sure yet but probably carbon low rise of some description
Pedals - XTR SPD, probably PD-M9000's to match the rest of the groupset
Tyres - no idea yet, I'll be asking for advice ^_^

One thing is clear, I need to save some more pennies to finish this build :ohmy::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I started researching dropper posts today and how to squeeze an internal Di2 battery in while using one and in doing so came across a bargain RockShox Reverb Stealth model so snapped it up.

I also bid on and won some Hope hubs I'd been watching on eBay, a black Pro 4 rear and black Pro 4 Boost front, both 32 hole. I've started researching chinese carbon MTB rims, think I'll end up giving them a punt as it seems there are lots of people using them these days. The chinese carbon road rims I bought have barely been used yet but they built up nicely and the tubeless tyres are holding pressure which is always a good start :laugh:

I probably shouldn't have spent any more money, any further major purchases will have to wait until pay day now :laugh: Over the course of the next week bits should start arriving so I'll start assembling them to mock the build up and help me choose the rest of the components :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had some unexpected money in my paycheck which turned out to be correct so ordered a few more bits ^_^ The bits I've sourced now are:

RockShox SID RL Solo Air forks, 100mm travel
RockShow Reverb Stealth 170mm travel dropper post
XTR M9050 Di2 shifters
XTR M9050 Di2 front mech and mount adaptor
XTR M9050 Di2 rear mech
XTR M9051 Di2 display with built in D-Fly wireles adapter
DN-110 internal Di2 Battery
XTR M9000 28/38 chainset
XTR M9000 Cassette
Hope XC stem
Nukeproof Horizon carbon riser bars
FSA headset
Wheels MFG bottom bracket
Hope Pro 4 hubs
Hope Stealth Race Evo E4 brakes
Carbon MTB rims from the same supplier I bought my road rims

So my list of things still to source is now pretty short...

Spokes - havent calculated the lengths yet
Tyres - need to measure clearance when the frame arrives to see how big I can go
Saddle - no idea as yet, I'll see what's on offer :laugh:
Pedals - I'll probably stick the XTR clipless pedals on from the stumpjumper as I've got some flats to put on her :smile:

I collect the frame on Monday, then I can start building bits up pretty much straight away as a lot of the parts are already here waiting ^_^ The rims are a month or so away I would guess, the rear mech is coming from Japan and the Di2 screen is coming from the states... Strange where the best prices end up being sometimes :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I picked up the frame from the Parcel Force depot today ^_^

20190708_183240.jpg

Brand new and undamaged as the seller had promised, and without all the useful frame fittings. They'd told me they were missing but I was hoping to find them hidden away somewhere :laugh: Not to worry, I'd ordered a mech hanger anyway and will be able to bodge/engineer my way around the other missing bits without too much bother I'm sure :tongue: First job was to fit the gear hanger and press the new headset in. This allowed me to put the hubs in and fit the forks and stem, they'll come out again later to trim the steerer when I know where it needs to sit...

20190708_185257.jpg

Having waited over a week for it I wasn't about to hang around building it so next I started running a few Di2 wires I had spare...

20190708_190449.jpg

I decided this would be a good time to run the hydraulic hose for the dropper post too so I could attach the Di2 battery to it before it was lowered in to the seat tube...
20190708_194659.jpg

With this in I fitted the front mech and connected the cable up to it, the junction box is now neatly tucked up in the base of the seat tube...

20190708_195558.jpg

I ran some garden twine through where the rear brake hose will go and popped the bottom bracket and chainset on. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the hose through without removing it again but its not a major trauma if it has to come out again :laugh: The seatpost already has to come off again when the seat clamp arrives - I'd like to say that was planned but I realised after reconnecting the hydraulic line :shy:

20190708_201041.jpg

Here's a shameless shot of some XTR loveliness :wub:

20190708_201050.jpg

And the rear end, still some bits missing here I think...

20190708_201058.jpg

And the front end. Might end up trimming those bars down a tad :ohmy::laugh:

20190708_201115.jpg

Brakes are due to arrive tomorrow so I should update again once they're on but the rims are weeks away as yet so it'll likely go on the back burner for a while after that :sad::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thanks, I'm rather partial to it already :shy: New brakes arrived today along with the Di2 Display. Got the brakes fitted, hoses shortened and working nicely this evening :becool:

20190709_194531.jpg
20190709_205517.jpg

I fitted the display and connected it up - I'm only missing a cable to connect the right hand shifter and the rear mech now. As soon as I plugged it in it beeped at me and lit up, always a good sign :laugh: Even better - when I click the lh shifter the front mech moves :okay::laugh:

I have tidied the garage a bit since these photos were taken too - I was a bit eager to fit the parts and left a trail of destruction :laugh:

Just ordered some grips and a short Di2 wire to finish the bars off. I also need to work out how to shorten the ridiculously long dropper post hose - it didnt come with any spare hydraulic fittings so I can't just cut it down and bleed it unfortunately, I'll need new hose fittings first :rolleyes: Oh well, it'll keep me busy :okay::laugh:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thanks, I'm rather partial to it already :shy: New brakes arrived today along with the Di2 Display. Got the brakes fitted, hoses shortened and working nicely this evening :becool:

View attachment 474806 View attachment 474805
I fitted the display and connected it up - I'm only missing a cable to connect the right hand shifter and the rear mech now. As soon as I plugged it in it beeped at me and lit up, always a good sign :laugh: Even better - when I click the lh shifter the front mech moves :okay::laugh:

I have tidied the garage a bit since these photos were taken too - I was a bit eager to fit the parts and left a trail of destruction :laugh:

Just ordered some grips and a short Di2 wire to finish the bars off. I also need to work out how to shorten the ridiculously long dropper post hose - it didnt come with any spare hydraulic fittings so I can't just cut it down and bleed it unfortunately, I'll need new hose fittings first :rolleyes: Oh well, it'll keep me busy :okay::laugh:
i love a self build.....good project that

ive been busy slowly rebuilding my E bike after getting shot of my Di2....theres nothing like a load of parts arriving to bring the little kid at xams out in you lol

Top Bottom