new bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hi there everyone.

just joined so i thought id say hello and ask a bit of advice.

firstly a bit of background - i currently cycle a hybrid bike (ridgeback velocity although im not sure which year). i commute on this bike (a relatively small round trip of 10 miles, although v.hilly), and go for country cycles of roughly 30 hilly miles 2-3 times per week.

as a result im not completely unfit but i wouldn't call myself lance yet either!

towards the end of the summer a couple of friends and I are planning a charity event where i cycle from the southern point of ireland to the most northern. this will last for 1 week and should be cycling about 70 miles per day.

the problem is my friends will be doing the cycling on fairly decent road bikes (im not sure which ones), while i have a hybrid. having never cycled on a road bike before, am i putting myself at a huge disadvantage being on a hybrid bike?

i assume the answer is yes, so i have visited a few local bike shops and they have tried to convince me that i need to be spending 4 figures on a road bike. surely i dont need to be spending this much!!??

therefore if you have any recommendations for a first road bike (if you think a road bike is necessary) i would be very grateful. (budget is open ended; ill pay what i have to - but neither something too basic nor a tour de france bike!)

the road bike would for this charity event and future events of similar nature, and i also plan to join a cycling club for which this bike would be used.

many thanks and hello!

richard

Keeno

Hi m8

Im new to road bikes also and recently purchased a Giant SCR3, came in at around £400. I find its an excellent bike for the money.

I take it that you have some sort of support car for this event? The reason I ask is that I wouldnt fancy doing that ride and having to carry luggage aswell.

Keep me posted on when you are doing the ride. I live in Derry N.Ireland and wouldnt mind meeting you guys along the road. It was always a trip I planned to do myself on a motorbike, only from north to south.

doyler78

Yes you can of course get cheaper bikes that will be more than adequate and comfortable for your ramble through my fine country however I would always say spend as much as you can afford as it means you are less likely to come back looking for another bike in 6 months to upgrade to. If you get a decent framed bike even if the components aren't that great you can then upgrade those components into a great bike. You can't make a shoot frame good.

And on this fine and sunny day I am heading off on an extended ride through our quiet country lanes on my way home :wacko:

bigguy

Out of pure curiosity Doyler, what would you call a good frame then? As far as I can see, bike builders are now only bike assemblers, sourcing their parts from China and far eastern countries. You could easily buy a cheap bike nowadays, and after a year or so you'd know you had bought a cheap bike!!! Sadly it seems that an expensive bike is not much better sometimes!!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Oh how I envy you. What a fantastic opportunity to cycle through God's own country. I would advise that you purchase any bike which can have a brolly fitted, and don't forget the waterproofs!
However, you don't need to spend four figures, but the previous posters advice is good. Buy the best you can afford, because not only will it perform the best, but you will form an attachment to it which may last many years, and you don't want it wearing out. I would try out several different saddles first though.

Hi my commuting bike is a ridgeback velocity and although its great in traffic, robust and reliable, I wouldn't recommend it for longer rides and it certainly wouldn't keep up with road bikes for too long. I think the longest mine has done is around. With regards to road bikes £500 approx seems to get you a good entry bike. Giant SCR's have got a good name as well as Specialized Allez.

Nick1979

I think the first thing you have to decide is whether you want a pure 'racing' bike (Spez Allez, SCR...) or a touring/audax bike. If you are more into long events (Audaxes, several days rides...) maybe a tourer is what you want.
For the club runs, sport/fitness or for riding moderatly long distance at weekends, a 'racing' type bike is more adapted.
A light tourer/audax will be more comfy on long distance and you can fit mudguards and panniers if you need to.
Entry level 'racing' road bikes start at £400-500. Audax/tourers seem to be a bit more expensive.

Top Bottom