New Bike Assembly Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why not buy a bike from the shop, and they'll hand it over to you all nicely setmup and ready to go?

That isn't always true. Lots of local bike shops are frankly a bit rubbish and don't always do a great job. It seems to be an internet myth that a local bike shop is always good but when you look at reviews many are quite poor. Halfords often get a bad rap and rightly so I'm sure but they take about 25% of all money spent in the UK on cycling and supply an estimated 40% of all bikes sold in the UK selling more bikes than the whole independent bike shop sector by some margin. Remember the bulk of bike sales are at low prices and there is ebay, amazon, argos, evans, decathlon etc. Local bike shops often sell far more of the higher end models too which are likely to be better setup at the factory. I've read a few reviews of my local bike shops in the past and there has been quite a few issues in a similar way to Halfords. My own experience of a local bike shop is my bike wasn't setup great and when I returned it with a fault there was a lot of excuses and it almost felt like I was taking food out of their mouth. They reluctantly sorted out the problem. That was many years ago but I don't think all independent bike shops offer great service.

Looking at my local bike shops; Tri UK scores 3.7 out of 5 based on 198 reviews and Halfords scores 4.4 out of 5 based on about 400 reviews. Tri UK bikes are obviously a lot more expensive and more premium on average using higher end components. Halfords do a lot of bikes based on very low end parts that would likely to be more problematic.

I should add the only bike I have ever bought from Halfords was a Carrera Subway 8 which had both hub gears and hub brakes a fairly complicated bike. When I went to collect it, it had a free upgrade to a Shimano bottom bracket fitted as the stock bottom bracket was faulty (chin lang or something like that unit) and the bike operated perfectly and was fantastic. After 6 weeks or so I returned it for its free service and that was the last time it went into Halfords but the customer service was great, no issues.

Anyway I've discussed this many times in forums over the years and many people have also said they have had terrible customer service from their local independent bike shops so I don't know where this myth has come from. Like anything there are good and bad shops out there and you need to check reviews of your local bike shop before buying there just like any shop really for a major purchase which most bikes are.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes I bought a Thorn Club tour and it needed the pedals fitting and the handlebars moving from N-S to E-W. Rode with no faults whatsoever after that. They'd done the rest before boxing it up shipping.
Same for me with my new bike from Spa.

I'd expected to do a few adjustments after transit, but none needed.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Best set up bike I've bought was from Rose. Has never needed adjustment. Another well set up bike came from Ribble.

Drago

Legendary Member
That isn't always true. Lots of local bike shops are frankly a bit rubbish and don't always do a great job. It seems to be an internet myth that a local bike shop is always good but when you look at reviews many are quite poor. Halfords often get a bad rap and rightly so I'm sure but they take about 25% of all money spent in the UK on cycling and supply an estimated 40% of all bikes sold in the UK selling more bikes than the whole independent bike shop sector by some margin. Remember the bulk of bike sales are at low prices and there is ebay, amazon, argos, evans, decathlon etc. Local bike shops often sell far more of the higher end models too which are likely to be better setup at the factory. I've read a few reviews of my local bike shops in the past and there has been quite a few issues in a similar way to Halfords. My own experience of a local bike shop is my bike wasn't setup great and when I returned it with a fault there was a lot of excuses and it almost felt like I was taking food out of their mouth. They reluctantly sorted out the problem. That was many years ago but I don't think all independent bike shops offer great service.

Looking at my local bike shops; Tri UK scores 3.7 out of 5 based on 198 reviews and Halfords scores 4.4 out of 5 based on about 400 reviews. Tri UK bikes are obviously a lot more expensive and more premium on average using higher end components. Halfords do a lot of bikes based on very low end parts that would likely to be more problematic.

I should add the only bike I have ever bought from Halfords was a Carrera Subway 8 which had both hub gears and hub brakes a fairly complicated bike. When I went to collect it, it had a free upgrade to a Shimano bottom bracket fitted as the stock bottom bracket was faulty (chin lang or something like that unit) and the bike operated perfectly and was fantastic. After 6 weeks or so I returned it for its free service and that was the last time it went into Halfords but the customer service was great, no issues.

Anyway I've discussed this many times in forums over the years and many people have also said they have had terrible customer service from their local independent bike shops so I don't know where this myth has come from. Like anything there are good and bad shops out there and you need to check reviews of your local bike shop before buying there just like any shop really for a major purchase which most bikes are.
But then you have legal recourse if it goes a bit bobby with the assembly. Assemble itself and you do not.

We cant pick and choose the benefits of a bike shop set up and the cost of zero for doing it yourself. Cake and eat it.

You don't seem totally ok with your own abilities to complete a set up, so in the Op' scenario your choice is simple - do it yourself and risk a charlie foxtrot if it turns out you aren't up to it, or pay someone to do it, and if they cack it up then hold them to account if they dont do a good job.

I don't see that as a diffcult decision to make in either direction.

There is no third way. If you do happen to know of an alternative method of which I have been hitherto unaware then please let us know, as Id be keen to try it myself.

Oh, and don't get too carried away with reviews. People who don't know how to hold a spanner themselves arent always in a position to judge those who do. Sometimes they may be, but often their knowledge is poor and expectations unrealistic, else they wouldn't be using such a service in the first place. The only experience you can reliably draw upon is your own.

And finally, Im bot perpetuating any myths with this one. I know of the odd decent Bike Hut, and examples of crap LBS as well, and ive never suggested otherwise.

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
unless it has got damaged in transit there is no way a new bike out the the box needs wheels truing

that would suggest they boxed it with wonky wheels.
Some are trued by machine at the factory and occasionally it will achieve this with only a few tight spokes. We had to check for this at the bike shop when doing PDI on bikes. The ones I did were in the £500 range and it was 2007.

But then you have legal recourse if it goes a bit bobby with the assembly. Assemble itself and you do not.

We cant pick and choose the benefits of a bike shop set up and the cost of zero for doing it yourself. Cake and eat it.

You don't seem totally ok with your own abilities to complete a set up, so in the Op' scenario your choice is simple - do it yourself and risk a charlie foxtrot if it turns out you aren't up to it, or pay someone to do it, and if they cack it up then hold them to account if they dont do a good job.

I don't see that as a diffcult decision to make in either direction.

There is no third way. If you do happen to know of an alternative method of which I have been hitherto unaware then please let us know, as Id be keen to try it myself.

Oh, and don't get too carried away with reviews. People who don't know how to hold a spanner themselves arent always in a position to judge those who do. Sometimes they may be, but often their knowledge is poor and expectations unrealistic, else they wouldn't be using such a service in the first place. The only experience you can reliably draw upon is your own.

And finally, Im bot perpetuating any myths with this one. I know of the odd decent Bike Hut, and examples of crap LBS as well, and ive never suggested otherwise.

I do my own maintenance but if I buy a new bike from anywhere I'd always maximise the value to get them to do as much as possible but as soon as it requires paying for I do it myself. However the point stands you need to be picky which local bike shops you go to as some are awful. You do get bike technicians in vans in many areas that only offer servicing and repair and some charity based workshops. There are often quite a few options.

Top Bottom