New Bike, Cracked Frame....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

I think, out on the bike on Sunday noticed some very strange noises when climbing or in a big gear, got the bike home gave it the once over and saw this, DSC00130.JPG DSC00131.JPG it's the one nearest the dropout, i've only had the bike for 3 month's, made initial contact with the shop yesterday who obviously want to see it, but i can't get there till Friday, so just wanted to gauge other opinions as to whether it looks cracked or not.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think that what you are seeing is a witness crack that forms in thick paintwork at the junction between the frame tube and the lug. I found one in exactly the same place on my carbon Specialized Roubaix and despite having hammered the bike hard including banging over some cattle grids and bunny-hopping potholes it hasn't shown any signs of worsening. If the frame wasn't so thickly painted with a layer of brittle paint and lacquer you would be none the wiser to the slight movement that takes place in this area.

The noises you heard were probably unrelated - maybe a creaking pedal or handlebars? If it had been the frame I think your crack would have been much bigger than that because there'd be definite movement.

Certainly take it back to the supplier though because I may be wrong and they may have had a whole lot of complaints on the same problem.

Be glad that you spotted it when cleaning the bike because the cleaning routine is your chance to examine everything carefully. Here's a pic of mine:

P1050999.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
I don't like the look of either of these cracks, However, I'm not an expert.

If it was my bike I'd definitely be heading back to the shop.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Believe me, I went through the same worry when I discovered mine! I spoke with a carbon frame repairer and he told me not to worry, unless there was creaking or movement it was almost certainly a witness crack in the thick brittle paint (and it is brittle, you should see how it has chipped at the dropouts). That was around 800 miles ago on worn-out top-dressed tarmac, cattle grids and bunny hopping and still the crack is no worse.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

I don't like the look of either of these cracks, However, I'm not an expert.

If it was my bike I'd definitely be heading back to the shop.

No sorry, the other one's not a crack, that's the edge of the Helicopter tape that i've put on, it's just looks like that due to being a bit dirty.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Right, managed to get away from work early today, so took the bike back to the shop, and my fears were confirmed, the guys in the shop agree and say it's defo a crack, they were really sympathetic about it, and while i was there contacted the manufacturer who have asked that the shop send them the frame ASAP, so it's going back today and in the meantime the shop have loaned me a carbon framed Bianchi (which i don't like) to get about, i'll update further once i get a response from the manufacturer.

Grasen

Right, managed to get away from work early today, so took the bike back to the shop, and my fears were confirmed, the guys in the shop agree and say it's defo a crack, they were really sympathetic about it, and while i was there contacted the manufacturer who have asked that the shop send them the frame ASAP, so it's going back today and in the meantime the shop have loaned me a carbon framed Bianchi (which i don't like) to get about, i'll update further once i get a response from the manufacturer.

and what is wrong with the carbon framed BIANCHI ?

I'd keep the Bianchi tbf.

battered

Guru
Your life sounds really tough. "My wife went on holiday without me, I miss her. Still she sent Cameron Diaz and Eva Mendes round, so I'm having to make do with them. I don't much like either of them, but I suppose Cameron can knock up a decent lasagne, so I don't mind her not putting the bins out as regularly as I'd like, and Eva's got the hang of the washing machine but she keeps leaving her knickers in the bathroom. Ah well.":tongue:

JimtheScot

Your life sounds really tough. "My wife went on holiday without me, I miss her. Still she sent Cameron Diaz and Eva Mendes round, so I'm having to make do with them. I don't much like either of them, but I suppose Cameron can knock up a decent lasagne, so I don't mind her not putting the bins out as regularly as I'd like, and Eva's got the hang of the washing machine but she keeps leaving her knickers in the bathroom. Ah well.":tongue:

damn sorry to hear about your bike Jim. Hope you get it sorted quick, but at least it's not as bad as Keith (from CTC) he's on his 3rd Titanium Van Nicholas bike after cracking the previous two frames.

Top Bottom