New bike day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I suspect a £12K bike isn't any faster than a £6K bike, except maybe in the lab. I'll probably still buy something really special when I retire, though.

It’s a lot quicker than previous bikes for the same effort.
Ah, I see. You are 3 quicker on this bike. Well worth the money then. :rolleyes:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I suspect a £12K bike isn't any faster than a £6K bike, except maybe in the lab.

If you could test it in sterile conditions, it would no doubt prove to be fractionally quicker, even if the difference was only 0.01 mph on the average speed. However, the big question is how a bike will perform when it has to interact with real-world conditions. Will the performance gain be the same, will it be zero, will it be more?

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
If it puts a smile on his face does it matter what the gains are? Happiness is priceless.
Quite right. I couldn’t care less if it was slower. It puts a massive grin on my face.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought my Bianchi from Ride On in Rawtenstall, my nearest dealer. The mechanic Anthony built it and set it up according to measurements they took off my existing bike and when I rode it, the fit was perfect. In the four years I've owned it I have only had to replace the chain and the brake blocks, I haven't had to make one single adjustment or change. The gears and brakes work just as well and snappily as on day 1. That's why you use a good bike shop.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
If you could test it in sterile conditions, it would no doubt prove to be fractionally quicker, even if the difference was only 0.01 mph on the average speed. However, the big question is how a bike will perform when it has to interact with real-world conditions. Will the performance gain be the same, will it be zero, will it be more?
The real world difference doesn’t become apparent until you really start pressing on. With the lower spec bikes I have, it becomes difficult to get them to go any quicker, without a lot more effort, this bike takes off like a stabbed rat, even when pressing on, with a minimal increase in effort.

dodgy

There is value in how a bike makes you feel psychologically.

dodgy

The real world difference doesn’t become apparent until you really start pressing on. With the lower spec bikes I have, it becomes difficult to get them to go any quicker, without a lot more effort, this bike takes off like a stabbed rat, even when pressing on, with a minimal increase in effort.

All new bikes feel like that. You've bought a beautiful expensive bike, it will feel faster to you and you will try to justify it in many ways (it's faster, nicer, etc).

The fact is you don't need to justify it to anyone.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I suspect a £12K bike isn't any faster than a £6K bike, except maybe in the lab. I'll probably still buy something really special when I retire, though.
You’d suspect wrong. A 6K bike is not going to be rubbish, but at the very top end of the bike spec ranges, the differences are not subtle.

Top Bottom