New bike delivered....Big problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
A Dawes Diiscovery 201 ordered from E-Bikes Direct Outlet
It arrived without a handlebar stem, without pedals, and the wrong front wheel
The front wheel which should be quick release but isnt had nuts done up either side so tight its probably done damage to cones/bearings/thread.....and by tight i mean ultra force had been applied [disgruntled employee maybe]
The rear wheel has the correct quick release but cannot be removed by hand and if leverage is applied it may break
The bike had a dusty air about it and not that immaculate freshness you would expect. Its possible their customer support will rectify all this so im not saying its all their fault..maybe its Dawes...but i wish i had never bought it.

note Just had a rather nice and very apologetic email from E-Bikes Direct who are sending parts and have offered to pay a local bike shop to fit anything, Well we shall see how it goes....
******* Correction the wheel sent was a quick release but i didnt recognise it as such because the skewer wasnt there.

Attachments

• DSCF6226.JPG
    DSCF6226.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF6229 (2).JPG
    DSCF6229 (2).JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF6223.JPG
    DSCF6223.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you're not happy now, send it back asap...as it's possible you never will be and once out the DSR return period it'll become much more complicated to get your money back.
It's a nice colour though :okay:

I agree with the above - return ASAP

a few minor things that you can easily fix yourself are one thing but that is just silly

Apart from anything else - what is there lurking that you can;t see that may go wrong in a few months when they can start saying it is your problem

It does look like someone has taken a dodgy bike - possibly damamged in transit - and fixed it up with whatever bits were available from other broken bikes

So why did they need to do that?? and what other shortcuts have they taken to get it to 'work'

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
If you're not happy now, send it back asap...as it's possible you never will be and once out the DSR return period it'll become much more complicated to get your money back.
It's a nice colour though :okay:
Thanks vickster, if i get all the parts it will be ok. Sending it back isnt really viable- i cant carry it to the post office a mile up the road :rolleyes:^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Just had a call from them and they may consider sending another one and do seem genuinely aggrieved this has happened. So looks like its going to be sorted one way or another
That should solve the issue of returning the other

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
I may have inadvertently damaged the front wheel.so what have i done :rolleyes:... I thought that they had sent me the wrong wheel [non quick release] so tried to undo the 2 nuts which were either side.... Ive now been informed that it is the correct wheel but didnt have the skewer thing attached. Have i destroyed it by undoing the nuts? :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1258

I may have inadvertently damaged the front wheel.so what have i done :rolleyes:... I thought that they had sent me the wrong wheel [non quick release] so tried to undo the 2 nuts which were either side.... Ive now been informed that it is the correct wheel but didnt have the skewer thing attached. Have i destroyed it by undoing the nuts? :rolleyes:

No, just stick a quick release in, or use the track nuts that came with it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
was about to say that is a QR wheel but absent of skewer. just put the nuts back on and send it back, no damage done

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tid indeed hollow axle aka quick release. The bearing nut looks a bit of a strange setup though. You normally have one nut to set the bearing pre load. Then a second “locking“ nut tightened against it to stop the former loosening. But can only see one big nut in your photos.

D

Deleted member 1258

Tid indeed hollow axle aka quick release. The bearing nut looks a bit of a strange setup though. You normally have one nut to set the bearing pre load. Then a second “locking“ nut tightened against it to stop the former loosening. But can only see one big nut in your photos.

Possibly sealed bearings?

Top Bottom