New bike, disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
..... as in a previous post of mine, a friend was selling a Boardman CX Comp. He only bought it about nine months ago and hated it.

So, he suggested I borrow it for a week to see if I like it.

I now have another bike lol. Still getting used to it but as it`s this first bike I`ve ever had that`s had disc brakes, are there any dos and don`ts? - I`ve already googled how to remove the wheels!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Don't touch the discs or pads with your bare hands or anything oily
Don't get any c;leaning or polishing products on the discs or pads
Don't use anything like WD40 or anything that will leave a residue on the discs
Unless they are cable ones, DO NOT pull on the levers when the wheels are off

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Apparently, they are "Tektro Lyra mechanical road disc brakes with compressionless cables for controlled modulation and all weather stopping power"

What that actually means, I`m not too sure only that they will stop the bike

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
It means they're not hydraulic. Cable operated. Probably better than rims brakes but not by much. Nowhere near as good as hydraulic though.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
It actually has another set of brake levers on the handlebars that I don`t ever think i`ll use as none of my other bikes have them - just wondering if

A) anyone else has this bike

B) did they take the levers off the handlebar?

I've mechanical discs on my cx. Stops waaaay better than friends can on rim brakes, especially in the wet and despite my extra kg....

vickster

Legendary Member
It actually has another set of brake levers on the handlebars that I don`t ever think i`ll use as none of my other bikes have them - just wondering if

A) anyone else has this bike

B) did they take the levers off the handlebar?
I use them 90% of the time, I have far more confidence in traffic and on descents. I wouldn’t be without and they’re being fitted on the new Ti. My carbon doesn’t have them and as a result I barely ride it.

I have a 2014 CX team with upgraded brakes

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
In the MTB world (at least) a set of BB7's (properly set) are better than any cheap hydraulic brakesets and even equal many of the higher spec ones.

Had my BB7's for years and loved them

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mechanical discs are good enough. My son has Tekro cable disks and they stop well. Not as good as my Sram Guide RS but the brakes alone cost almost the cost of my sons bike. Cable discs are easier to maintain in some respects.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Was out on bike today and everything seems fine apart from when I stand up on the pedals when climbing - there seems to be a rubbing sound coming from the front disc but it doesnt happen when I`m sitting down?

Any thoughts? Is my extra weight on the hoods causing the front disc to rub?

Top Bottom