New Bike, Disc Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobzmyunkle

Electronic shifting is another piece of “technology “ being forced upon us without being given a choice
Electronic shifting just appears to be unnecessary expense and complication at the moment.
Looks like there'll be mechanical choices for a long while yet so I'm not sure about 'forced'.

Many years ago we moved to 2 x 6 gears. A friend of mine was determined that he wasn't going to add more dish to his wheels, so went out and bought up as many 5 speed wheel parts as he could find.
Get stocking up while the mechanical stuffs still out there,

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I don’t have any issues with technology or manufacturer’s implementing it. However I do have an issue with the way it is marketed,to create a situation just to sell more bikes, as is the case with disc brakes by taking away the choice and convincing those who don’t know better/any different that this is somehow superior in every way. I except there are situations where disc brakes have benefit such as commuting but not in every situation. They add weight and cost and also in my (and many others) opinion effect the balance and feel of a light weight road bike. Oh and the Pro’s ride what they given/told to before anyone cites the pro peloton.
Electronic shifting is another piece of “technology “ being forced upon us without being given a choice (in the case of two of the major manufacturers, fortunately we are still blessed with Campagnolo who know better). Bicycles are essentially simple machines driven by human power, with the exception of bikes with electronic assistance which is fine as it allows people to exercise who otherwise possibly couldn’t.
By all means offer these options but let them be just that!

Point to who is 'forcing' you to buy an electronic drive train and I'll have a word.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Of course nobody is forcing you , it's more a case of wannabe racers thinking 'if the pros have I'll have to have it too' and those who want the very latest tech and have the disposable to spend.

Alex321

Veteran
I don’t have any issues with technology or manufacturer’s implementing it. However I do have an issue with the way it is marketed,to create a situation just to sell more bikes, as is the case with disc brakes by taking away the choice and convincing those who don’t know better/any different that this is somehow superior in every way. I except there are situations where disc brakes have benefit such as commuting but not in every situation. They add weight and cost and also in my (and many others) opinion effect the balance and feel of a light weight road bike. Oh and the Pro’s ride what they given/told to before anyone cites the pro peloton.
Electronic shifting is another piece of “technology “ being forced upon us without being given a choice (in the case of two of the major manufacturers, fortunately we are still blessed with Campagnolo who know better). Bicycles are essentially simple machines driven by human power, with the exception of bikes with electronic assistance which is fine as it allows people to exercise who otherwise possibly couldn’t.
By all means offer these options but let them be just that!

I don't see how we are being "forced" towards electronic shifting. Yes, 105 and up have now gone electronic only, but mechanical 105 & Ultegra will be available for a good few years yet, even installed on new bikes.

And the new CUES system will give access to 11 speed mechanical shifting for the foreseeable future.

It is only if you want really top end stuff that Shimano and SRAM are no longer giving a mechanical option.

Disk brakes, you have more of a point. Though it isn't as simple as the pros just "ride what they are told to", which is why several pro teams kept rim brakes for a year or two after most had gone to discs.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1562.jpeg
    IMG_1562.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 18