New Bike, Disc Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
So no reason not to see the steel rims making a comeback now that disc's are available

I can see the weight factor being a reason.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
Hi Spokey,

I've been dragging my heels a bit due to a number of factors and now just waiting for a final fitting for the frame but am going to go with direct mount rim brakes probably Super record.
I have given fair consideration to discs but cannot see any benefit for me personally and will cost an additional £2-3,000 depending on which wheels I went for, plus an additional 1kg of dead weight!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi Spokey,

I've been dragging my heels a bit due to a number of factors and now just waiting for a final fitting for the frame but am going to go with direct mount rim brakes probably Super record.
I have given fair consideration to discs but cannot see any benefit for me personally and will cost an additional £2-3,000 depending on which wheels I went for, plus an additional 1kg of dead weight!

Thanks for the update.

Hi Spokey,

£3000 wheels? Is that for a couple of pairs or something?

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
No just the wheels but the groupset cost and frame cost are £5-600 each more than a rim brake option .
The wheels would account for the rest, £1200-2000. I appreciate I could get cheaper but that's not what I am after, ie Campagnolo Bora or handbuilts is what I am looking at and what I currently have.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You also get a heavier, deader-feeling fork as it has to be beefed up to cope with the brake force at the tip rather than the crown.

IME discs are not low maintenance and require frequent fiddling to stop them rubbing.

Alex321

Veteran
You also get a heavier, deader-feeling fork as it has to be beefed up to cope with the brake force at the tip rather than the crown.

IME discs are not low maintenance and require frequent fiddling to stop them rubbing.

Don't know what you are doing wrong, but it is something, if disc brakes are not low maintenance for you.

They should be low maintenance. And I have never needed to adjust my hydraulic disc brakes in around 10,000 miles of riding, over 2 bikes. The only maintenance mine have needed is replacement of pads, which is a 5 minute job.

On the plus side for discs you can make some great music braking in the wet. Good for letting people know you are there.

Caperider

Discs definitely have the advantage on mountain bikes after a weekend in New Hampshire mountain biking and going across a small stream or 2 , we had issues stopping with brakes kept getting wet. When I got home I ordered discs for both of our full suspension specialized bike as the frames had the capability to fit them. Huge upgrade to my wife and I. Just my 2 pennies. :smile:

My three bikes all have different brakes. My Saracen Hybrid has Shimano V Brakes and are very good. My Classic Raleigh Royale has Shimano Cantilever and my new Pinnacle Neon Hybrid has Discs. All three braking system are effective and do what it says on the tin. It really is a matter of personal choice. It would be very difficult to pick one method over another of my three versions. Think the Disc Brake would shave it, a slightly lighter feel to the brake.

Top Bottom