New Bike, Disc Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like this will be a summer bike ? So not see a lot of rain ? So improved braking in the wet probably doesn't matter so much.
The best thing about discs for me is letting you use fatter tyres. My rim brakes only cope with 25mm tops - my next 'super bike' I'll want to go to 30 or 32mm for the comfort and grip. So that means I'll go discs.

I find my rim brakes as good as discs in the dry and I find rim brakes easier to maintain. Disc maintenance is a new skill to learn. Or let the LBS maintain it for you.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
I have disc brakes on my mountain bike, they are good in wet and muddy conditions, definitely an advantage over rim brakes I would say.
As far as road bikes go, I’ve always been able to stop, even lock my wheels with rim brakes so I don’t see the need for discs.
Disc brakes can be noisy, they require more maintenance (pads don’t last as long), they can be a fiddle to clean properly and are heavier.
The only real advantage imo with discs is no rim wear

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
I have disc brakes on my mountain bike, they are good in wet and muddy conditions, definitely an advantage over rim brakes I would say.
As far as road bikes go, I’ve always been able to stop, even lock my wheels with rim brakes so I don’t see the need for discs.
Disc brakes can be noisy, they require more maintenance (pads don’t last as long), they can be a fiddle to clean properly and are heavier.
The only real advantage imo with discs is no rim wear.

These were my thoughts and I was very entrenched in my views of not wanting disc brakes on a new road bike. It was suggested to me that I should at least try them before deciding which is fairly sensible, having done so thus far my opinions are the same as yours.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
Sounds like this will be a summer bike ? So not see a lot of rain ? So improved braking in the wet probably doesn't matter so much.
The best thing about discs for me is letting you use fatter tyres. My rim brakes only cope with 25mm tops - my next 'super bike' I'll want to go to 30 or 32mm for the comfort and grip. So that means I'll go discs.

I find my rim brakes as good as discs in the dry and I find rim brakes easier to maintain. Disc maintenance is a new skill to learn. Or let the LBS maintain it for you.

Yes it is a dry weather/summer/ best bike, I have other albeit rim brake options for winter/wet weather plus an MTB for off road (with discs).

Were I commuting now, I'd want discs for their all-weather performance. Other than that, they are, IMHO, an ugly waste of money. Is this build for all-weather use? Consider the discs. Otherwise, rims.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'm a heavier rider and I'm a disc brake convert. Gone are squealing rims on descents, struggling to stop in the wet, even struggling to stop quickly in the dry.

I'm not too sure why there is all the hate. Discs just work. They rarely require adjustment if they are hydraulic.

I get some people experience pad squeal and rubbing but get them set up right and buy quality and these issues are surely quickly resolved. You also get pad rub and squeal with rims.

Joffey

Big Dosser
The only real advantage imo with discs is no rim wear.

I would argue the exact same about rim brakes!

Pads totally depends what you use - I would have to change rim pads more often than my disc pads and they cost about the same. My rim brakes were noisy when descending. My rims brakes seemed to need much more adjustment as the pads wore down. Cleaning - used to have to take the wheels out every time and still the callipers would get rusty bolts etc - I just hose the disc callipers down, so much easier.

Different strokes for different folks - I suppose it all comes down to individual experience and preference. :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Yes and no. I've had rim brakes noisier than my discs. The discs do squeal a little but in my case it's because they've become glazed due to ridiculous amounts of constant light braking.
Maintenance? Almost nil. I use the road version of BB7's and in 2000 miles of near constant braking I've needed to turn the adjustment nob in a handful of times. Not exactly a lot. I've used brake cleaner on them once just as a precaution (glazing) and the only time I've had any cause to touch the cables was because of a brake lever swap due to going with straight bars then back to drops.
You'll be going through pad like cheese due to the nature of mountain biking. This is true of any brake system with the exception of drum brakes. The paste of water/grit/mud isn't kind to any material. In my case, I've had a set of pads last 2000 miles. Only now are they approaching changing time and there's still a good 1.5mm on them. Any less and there's a danger of them falling out from the calipers. And as you stated, rim wear is nil.
Cleaning. Again, nope. A blast of the hose is all that's needed as unlike rim brakes, no lasting deposits from pad wear are left sticking to anything.
Granted, there's a small weight increase over rim brakes and I do mean small. But in terms of pro's vs con's, weight is the only con.

The aesthetics of disc brakes can be subjective like anything else. I quite like them. Others don't. some (most it seems) cyclists like the look of black bars, seatposts, rims, stems etc. I hate it, prefering parts to be polished and/or silver. Each to their own.
I personally find that my mechanical discs are a bit more powerful than my previous v brakes and is one of the reasons I swapped. That and rim wear.
Most of my rides are doggy walking rides and as my doggy wouldn't take kindly to being dragged by the neck down a hill at 20mph, my discs are braked almost half the miles I ride. The last time I used rim brakes, my sputnik rims were worn to 1.5 mm within a year, new pads were needed almost monthly and at the bottom of certain hills my hands were near blue from pulling the levers so hard. A stroke I had 5 years ago took away a fair lump of hand strength which made that issue even worse. Disc brakes solved all that. A couple arthritic cyclists I'd spoken too agreed that their disc brakes also were a godsend.

Last edited:
This is a pointless thread.
The OP didn't like or want disc brakes in post #1
So far as I know rim brakes are still widely available - if his mind is made up why are the pros and cons being debated !!!

Alex321

Veteran
This is a pointless thread.
The OP didn't like or want disc brakes in post #1
So far as I know rim brakes are still widely available - if his mind is made up why are the pros and cons being debated !!!

His mind isn't made up.

He is planning on another, longer, test ride on a different disc braked bike.

And actually, new bikes with rim brakes aren't all that widely available. There are certainly still a reasonable number around, but nowhere near as many as with disc brakes any more.

Alex321

Veteran
Am I wrong to think that a reason discs have become popular is due to difficulties braking on a carbon rim?

Yes, I think you are wrong.

Although it may be harder to make carbon rims compatible with rim brakes, a large majority of disc brakes are run on non-carbon wheels.

His mind isn't made up.

He is planning on another, longer, test ride on a different disc braked bike.

And actually, new bikes with rim brakes aren't all that widely available. There are certainly still a reasonable number around, but nowhere near as many as with disc brakes any more.

I thought he was going for a custom build ?

Just seems like a round about way - to discus rim v disc

Top Bottom