New Bike, Disc Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
This is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" type of things. I'm a rim-brake fan so when I say my next bike will have rim brakes, I'll probably walk out of the shop with hydro disks.

Same thing with cars: my next car will have manual transmission (I like manuals), but I'll probably drive out with an automatic.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
And about the same on a disc brake

We can agree to differ. IME you need to remove wheel and pad on a disc, and even then it's not actually obvious if it needs changing. Whereas it's visually obvious on a rim without anything other than a glance.

But you may have special skillz.

Alex321

Veteran
We can agree to differ. IME you need to remove wheel and pad on a disc, and even then it's not actually obvious if it needs changing. Whereas it's visually obvious on a rim without anything other than a glance.

But you may have special skillz.

Presumably then that varies according to the particular disc brakes you have. On my current ones (Shimano 105 - 7020 calipers), I can see the wear material and how much is left just by looking at the calipers from above.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Presumably then that varies according to the particular disc brakes you have. On my current ones (Shimano 105 - 7020 calipers), I can see the wear material and how much is left just by looking at the calipers from above.

I think we're going to agree to differ!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Two different mechanical systems (one was Tektro Io, not sure of the other) Hope Mono 4 (needed shims) and Avid Elixir. I hear Shimano are less trouble.

DogmaStu

On flattish terrain at commuting or leisurely speeds, I find my rim braked bike to be great and no real difference to my disc braked bike.

For higher speeds and especially on fast descents, it is disc all the way for me. They do stop my bike faster, despite my rim bike being set up very well. I can brake later into corners and my descending as a result has proven to be much faster. I'm more confident too - with rim I'm far more wary I've discovered (I didn't realise it until training and racing with disc) and not as trusting.

On my MTB it was a no-brainer for racing years ago already but I am a late convert to disc for road having been perfectly happy with my rim braked road bike. Then I bought a disc bike and after a few weeks over all types of lumpy terrain in different conditions I was totally converted and now I'll not buy rim again. I've just bought my second disc road bike and have a gravel disc bike arriving next week.

I've found I can service and swop out pads just as quickly as with my rim bike too; it really is very simple. For me, there are no real downsides and they are either equal to rim or better depending upon use.

All that said, I still have my rim bike, I can stop just fine on it and I will be keeping it and riding it. I'll just not race it anymore because for me, discs just work better overall.

bobzmyunkle

All that said, I still have my rim bike, I can stop just fine on it and I will be keeping it and riding it. I'll just not race it anymore because for me, discs just work better overall.
Just have to remember you're riding the rim brakes when descending into that hairpin in the rain.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
However did we manage before disc brakes, 😌

Cycle Tech in some ways reminds me of Golf-Club Technology. Titanium Heads, C.O.G moving, Gear-Effect, Adjustable weighting and face angles, Huge array of shaft Bend-Points, Flexes, Load-Profiles blah blah.

And while that new Tech is awesome; and often sometimes provides a reasonably measureable positive advance (IF you've had a Custom fitting and if you have some common swing tendencies for the majority of the time) that doesn't mean 'yesterdays' Technologies become redundant instantaneously......

Alex321

Veteran
However did we manage before disc brakes, 😌

By being always aware of the limitations. Allowing much more time to slow down in those sort of situations.

The point there was that the previous poster normally rides disc brakes, but does still have a rim brake bike, so they need to be conscious of which they are riding, particularly in the wet.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
I don’t have any issues with technology or manufacturer’s implementing it. However I do have an issue with the way it is marketed,to create a situation just to sell more bikes, as is the case with disc brakes by taking away the choice and convincing those who don’t know better/any different that this is somehow superior in every way. I except there are situations where disc brakes have benefit such as commuting but not in every situation. They add weight and cost and also in my (and many others) opinion effect the balance and feel of a light weight road bike. Oh and the Pro’s ride what they given/told to before anyone cites the pro peloton.
Electronic shifting is another piece of “technology “ being forced upon us without being given a choice (in the case of two of the major manufacturers, fortunately we are still blessed with Campagnolo who know better). Bicycles are essentially simple machines driven by human power, with the exception of bikes with electronic assistance which is fine as it allows people to exercise who otherwise possibly couldn’t.
By all means offer these options but let them be just that!

Top Bottom