New Bike, Disc Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YellowV2

Veteran
I am considering a new bike which will be a Titanium bespoke build, I was quite clear in my mind that I didn't want disc brakes as in my view they are a solution to a problem that didn't exist (for road bikes), and the next thing for the major manufacturers to tell us we needed. (I am not a person who takes kindly to being told what I should do!)
However when discussing my proposed new purchase with someone who's opinion I value (an ex pro cyclist who now has a bike fitting business and is one of if not the best in his field), his view was that I should probably go for disc brakes if for no other reason than they are the way forward, to add to this my wife was also of the opinion that I should at least try them to enable me to make an informed decision, fair enough I guess. So I arranged a visit to the company who are to build my bike for a test ride on a bike disc brakes.
The test ride was on a bike equipped with Shimano Ultegra group and discs.
Well the brakes did what they should, ie they stopped me but nothing that my rim brakes have ever failed to do, moreover they felt wooden and required more force than my Campagnolo Chorus rim brakes do and with less feel.
So I am none the wiser and more convinced even than I was that they are unnecessary. Am I missing something, what is all the fuss about?
I should add that it has been suggested that it may be a good idea to have a further test ride on a different bike with discs, which is to be arranged in the near future.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you think the rim brakes are fine and the discs you tried feel wooden go for the rims.
I don't agree with you but it's your choice.
Don't the majority of pro riders use discs now?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You may be overthinking it?

Both work.

Buy whichever you prefer?

[I went go for rims on this duty personally, when getting a bespoke build. Price, maintenance, look better, no performance difference. Others would make different choices]

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Personally I think discs are a solution looking for a problem. Richard Hallett, who has built a couple of bikes for me, is of the same opinion. And, after all, rim brakes are only v large diameter discs.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
If you think the rim brakes are fine and the discs you tried feel wooden go for the rims.
I don't agree with you but it's your choice.
Don't the majority of pro riders use discs now?

Yes they do but I wouldn't use that as a barometer, they essentially use what they are provided with/told to, I know they are not all happy with this! I was just really giving my thoughts/findings thus far.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Dry not a huge difference, though the more I use discs I prefer them, feel more consistent

Hopefully wheels may last longer as no rim wear?

Going forward quality rim brakes / parts probably become harder to source

Last year at the same time I went to one of those modern fangled 'compact' chainsets as well.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Could be that the discs were poorly set up as the 105s on my Spa require little effort and give good feel - but then so do the rim brakes on my other road bikes. Is there another bike you cold try for a second opinion?

If they still feel 'wrong' stick with what you know and go with rim brakes.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
You may be overthinking it?

Both work.

Buy whichever you prefer?

[I went go for rims on this duty personally, when getting a bespoke build. Price, maintenance, look better, no performance difference. Others would make different choices]

I'm not sure I'm over thinking it as I have my thoughts but following suggestions from others tried them and was sharing my findings. I am fairly certain barring any dramatic differences on another another test ride I will going with my favoured Campagnolo rim brake GS either Record or Chorus.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Going forward quality rim brakes / parts probably become harder to source

Brake blocks and cables I think will be readily available for some time to come.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
Could be that the discs were poorly set up as the 105s on my Spa require little effort and give good feel - but then so do the rim brakes on my other road bikes. Is there another bike you cold try for a second opinion?

If they still feel 'wrong' stick with what you know and go with rim brakes.

Possibly, which is why the suggestion for another longer test ride was made.
I was out for about an hour and a half but an much longer ride may be beneficial. To be honest my feelings/instinct tell me that for me there is nothing to be gained from discs and rims not only look better but in my situation are the equal of discs and don't suffer the compromises of disc brakes for a road bike.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Possibly, which is why the suggestion for another longer test ride was made.
I was out for about an hour and a half but an much longer ride may be beneficial. To be honest my feelings/instinct tell me that for me there is nothing to be gained from discs and rims not only look better but in my situation are the equal of discs and don't suffer the compromises of disc brakes for a road bike.

What compromises do you perceive?

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeahbut I don't think the pros use disc just because ' they're told to'., that wouldn't make any sense. There must be a competitive or other advantage.
Going forward as discs become more of the norm on new bikes you might find resale value of rim brakes bikes fall compared to its counterparts.

the snail

Guru
Yeahbut I don't think the pros use disc just because ' they're told to'., that wouldn't make any sense. There must be a competitive or other advantage.
Going forward as discs become more of the norm on new bikes you might find resale value of rim brakes bikes fall compared to its counterparts.

The advantage is that they help to sell disc brakes.

OP
OP
YellowV2

YellowV2

Veteran
Well there are some of the pro peloton who are not happy, however the benefits cited by the pro's typically are reserved for descents of mountains where there can shave seconds off Vs. rim brakes but this isn't really relevant to me. Regards resale that's not of the slightest relevance to me as I won't be selling, it's possibly the last bike I will buy other than possibly an e bike when/if that time comes.

Top Bottom