new bike noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winston2007

Hi, I have just purchased my first full carbon bike a specialized Tarmac comp. Riding i have noticed every time I go over a bump in the road or the road suface gets a bit rough you can hear a cracking sound.
reading the handbook that comes with the bike it states "a well maintained bike will be very quiet and free from creaks and squeeks".
so naturally i am a bit concerned that the bike might be defective. I dont want to walk into the dealer and be fobbed off so if anyone could help put mind at ease i would be greatful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm, where from.... ?

RedBike

It could be anything.

Being a new bike it's highly likely that somethings worked loose or needs adjusting. That why most shops offer a 'free' service after 3/4 weeks.

OP
OP
W

winston2007

okay the noise eminates from the front forks, its actually very difficult to pinpoint when riding. i have tried manipulating the bike but cant reproduce the noise.
By your replies i take it the bike should be almost silent?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd go with a loose headset - put the front brake on, and rock the bike back and forward - if you can feel any clunking, you'll need to tighten the allen bolt on the top of the stem.

Mortiroloboy

fossyant said:
I'd go with a loose headset - put the front brake on, and rock the bike back and forward - if you can feel any clunking, you'll need to tighten the allen bolt on the top of the stem.

Undo the stem bolts first, just loosen them off, no need to take the stem off, then as Fossy says tighten up (load) the head set, screwing the allen bolt loads the starwasher or bung (if you have all carbon forks) against the inner wall of the steerer tube. Don't over do it otherwise you'll restrict the movement on the 'bars.

Failing that take it back to LBS as it shouldn't really be making cracking sounds.

OP
OP
W

winston2007

Thanks for your help, the whole bike feels solid i have rocked it with the brake on, tapped the frame the whole bike feels free from un-natural movement. i'm gonna take it back to the shop soon. thanks for all your help i really appreciate it.

shooter560

I'd remove the seat from the seat post, grease the rails and re-fit, mine made a creaking noise and after changing forks, headset, bars and stem to no avail I ripped the saddle off, and guess what no noise at all now.

Worth a try if nothing else

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'd look at the seatpost too. I had terrible bother with frighteningly loud creaking on my new SCR2 which turned out to be the seatpost and then a loose BB.

Seatpost started creaking again there on Friday - seems to happen a day or two after I've been out in heavy rain. There's water and road grit getting between the shim and the frame and I might try putting some tape over that weird 'hole' in the frame at the top of the seatpost tube as that's where it gets in.

Top Bottom