New Bike (Not Me, This Time, Though!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Picked up 'Senior Managements' new bike today

I'd offered to buy her one, as she'd started using daughters (10+ year) old Apollo to ride about on, as part of a fitness/weight-loss regime
She even rode to her Office on it 3 times!(1)

Rather cunningly, as I've bought it, & she's not paid herself, there could (hopefully) be a continuation of its use (2), even after the novelty has worn off

I've sorted the pannier-rack out, that had been fitted, but sloped; not horizontal (it is now)
Still need to fit the mudguards, but I don't have a spacer. & long enough bolt, for the nearside, to clear the disc caliper

First ride tomorrow

I had wanted to buy her a Ribble 'Hybrid al', in order to fit in with my 3 Ribbles, but "No" (I was told - too expensive)
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-commuter-fully-loaded/

(1) Her office, her company - well '50-50' owned, with someone else
(2) Steve Peters relates this method, in his book 'The Chimp Paradox'
(you're more likely to carry on with something, if you do it with someone else, or the equipment is bought for you)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Pretty little thing.

Nice looking bike.
That front mudguard could do with being lengthened at the rear and a mudflap being fitted. It'd go some way to keeping her tootsies dry in the rain.
True!, I didn't buy the Ribble, but she doesn't want to be riding in the rain anyway
Although, it may rain, whilst she's at work, & have to ride home on wet roads

I'm confused. Have you bought the Ribble in the link, or something else?
Something else...………..
I phrased it as 'had wanted to buy', hence didn't:okay:

After I'd straightened up the pannier-rack (1), & put on bottle-cages (…. in the hope she'll go further on it)
Saddle-height & set-back, to be confirmed at this point

Boardman. HYB86. 4.JPG

The mudguards I bought, are rather short, & there's no spacer, in order to use with discs
I'll have to source a mudflap (maybe one of the wider Ass-Savers riveted on?)
Boardman. HYB86. 5.JPG

Reflective Schwalbe tyres, didn't realise how good they were for that purpose
Rather fat though. at '37' section!
They also produce the Durano, with that sidewall, so I'll be looking for a pair in my size ('28')
Boardman. HYB86. 8.JPG

Panniers fitted, that I bought, but never used, when I first bought my 'blue' Ribble (June 2013), with the intention of buying a rack for that
Toe-clips & straps also removed, clips were too long anyway & also had spacers too!

Boardman. HYB86. 9.jpg

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2179-hyb-8.6-womens.html
It was substantially less than the RRP

She went to work on it this morning:okay:

(1) As collected...………..
I ought to have asked them to level it, but it meant that I could copper-grease all the fittings

Boardman. HYB86. 1.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice bit of kit.

My wife loves her Pinnacle 'fast hybrid' and has been impressed with the bargain (second hand) 29er XC Full Sus bike I got on here - the FS was 4 x more expensive new.

That will make a nice bike - get full guards for it though, no messing.

Nice bit of kit.
That will make a nice bike - get full guards for it though, no messing.

Mudguards, acquired
Fitted them earlier, after taking my Octavia, over to our trusted garage, for its MoT test

Front is a temporary fitment, at the moment, as I need a spacer to clear the brake caliper
Oh!!, & to sort out front mud-flap

Boardman. HYB86. 11.JPG

Last edited:
The mudguards I bought, are rather short, & there's no spacer, in order to use with discs
I'll have to source a mudflap (maybe one of the wider Ass-Savers riveted on?)
View attachment 469186

I did so, using a plastic (translucent) ring-binder that I found, in the basement
It's rigid enough, when bolted into place & could be cut to choice

Mudguards. HYB 86. 12.JPG Mudguards. HYB 86. 10.JPG

Top Bottom