New bike on the way!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daisyj

Über Member
I’ve used a Carrera Subway E for a couple of years and loved it. I wanted a bike with a bigger range on the battery, so I’ve ordered a Liv Amitie e + 1 and it’s coming in just over a week. Very excited. Planning some little camping tours with my partner.

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpeg
    IMG_1723.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 17
I’ve used a Carrera Subway E for a couple of years and loved it. I wanted a bike with a bigger range on the battery, so I’ve ordered a Liv Amitie e + 1 and it’s coming in just over a week. Very excited. Planning some little camping tours with my partner.

Shiny!

The Liv looks a lovely bike. Hopefully you will find the time to do a little review in this thread and how it compares to the Carrera Subway, how easy up hills, reliability, issues, which feels better, which is easier to control, which feels more powerful etc. The Liv is quite interesting as it is fairly rare on mid-drive ebikes to have a front derailleur this gives it lower gearing to other models in the same Amitie range and therefore higher torque output for hill climbing. In fact in theory the Subway would be more powerful for hill climbing at around 60-65Nm than other models in the Amitie range but because you have a 36T front and 42T rear maximum cog you end up with 70* 42/36 so you end up at about 80Nm torque allowing for some small power loss through the chain. Other Amitie models don't have such low gearing so the 70Nm of torque is reduced not increased. The Amitie +2 model would be down to about 58Nm due to lack of low gearing. Not that 58Nm is anything to complain about that is decent assistance level by any standard.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
The Liv looks a lovely bike. Hopefully you will find the time to do a little review in this thread and how it compares to the Carrera Subway, how easy up hills, reliability, issues, which feels better, which is easier to control, which feels more powerful etc. The Liv is quite interesting as it is fairly rare on mid-drive ebikes to have a front derailleur this gives it lower gearing to other models in the same Amitie range and therefore higher torque output for hill climbing. In fact in theory the Subway would be more powerful for hill climbing at around 60-65Nm than other models in the Amitie range but because you have a 36T front and 42T rear maximum cog you end up with 70* 42/36 so you end up at about 80Nm torque allowing for some small power loss through the chain. Other Amitie models don't have such low gearing so the 70Nm of torque is reduced not increased. The Amitie +2 model would be down to about 58Nm due to lack of low gearing. Not that 58Nm is anything to complain about that is decent assistance level by any standard.

I will certainly do a review. I looked at several bikes before coming to this one. It had everything I was looking for (on paper) for my budget. I’ve ordered an x small and I do struggle to find bikes with the right geometry for me, so that was also a consideration. Its first run will be around Monmouth in just over a week, so I’ll give an update on first impressions.

I will certainly do a review. I looked at several bikes before coming to this one. It had everything I was looking for (on paper) for my budget. I’ve ordered an x small and I do struggle to find bikes with the right geometry for me, so that was also a consideration. Its first run will be around Monmouth in just over a week, so I’ll give an update on first impressions.

I don't know much about the Giant/Liv so perhaps this is an un-necessary warning but try not to shift while under load and with the motor engaged. Mid-drives wear out the drivetrain much faster due to putting all their power through the drivetrain however much of this wear and chain snaps is due to shifting under load with the motor engaged. I think a typical technique would be to tweak the brake levers to stop the motor and then change gear and release the brake lever so the motor continues again. I'm sure the Liv instructions will give some detail about what they recommend unless its automatic on that bike and has a gear change sensor which automatically drops motor power when you shift. I've not seen that on a front derailleur before though. As I say it may be an un-necessary warning depending on how the ebike is configured. I watched a video where a Porsche ebike was being used for the first time on a group ride and the rider snapped the chain almost immediately which I think was down to poor shifting. It's worth getting a pack of missing links for longer rides just in case. It's a 10 speed drivetrain so missing links are single use only normally. Just things to bear in mind when you move from a hub motor ebike to a mid-drive ebike.

I do find it is a problem with my Bosch powered Raleigh
I find it is quite common for me to change gear by reducing the power through the pedals and pressing the gear shift lever
at which point it changes gear
but the motor does not detect the power drop in the pedals all that quickly so I suspect the motor is still providing power sometimes
and this is mostly a problem going uphill because the last thing you want to do then is drop pedal power and wait a second to change - if you do that then th e bike slows down excessively and you need to change gear again!

Not really sure how to get round that - other than to be aware of the problem and try to reduce the number of times it happens
and accept that the chain with stretch more than normal!

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
I don't know much about the Giant/Liv so perhaps this is an un-necessary warning but try not to shift while under load and with the motor engaged. Mid-drives wear out the drivetrain much faster due to putting all their power through the drivetrain however much of this wear and chain snaps is due to shifting under load with the motor engaged. I think a typical technique would be to tweak the brake levers to stop the motor and then change gear and release the brake lever so the motor continues again. I'm sure the Liv instructions will give some detail about what they recommend unless its automatic on that bike and has a gear change sensor which automatically drops motor power when you shift. I've not seen that on a front derailleur before though. As I say it may be an un-necessary warning depending on how the ebike is configured. I watched a video where a Porsche ebike was being used for the first time on a group ride and the rider snapped the chain almost immediately which I think was down to poor shifting. It's worth getting a pack of missing links for longer rides just in case. It's a 10 speed drivetrain so missing links are single use only normally. Just things to bear in mind when you move from a hub motor ebike to a mid-drive ebike.

Thank you, that’s very helpful.

Top Bottom