New bike paint/lacquer blister advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20210308_165144[157].jpg

The above is a bad photo but all I have available, so bear with me.

I bought a Giant Contend in December (aluminium frame). The bike has been kept indoors since I got it (not next to any heat sources), as our shed sprung a leak and I've ridden it maybe 200 miles - generally in good weather.

In February I spotted the above mark on the top tube which has since blistered, so when you run your hand across the surface you can feel an edge to the layer of lacquer that remains. This has developed into two small areas about the size of a 5p each.

I've taken the bike back to the store I purchased it from and am awaiting an answer, as the paint/finish/decals are covered for a year, and it was due a free 6 mth service.

My questions of you esteemed group of people are:
- Has anyone had something similar happen?
- Is this issue likely to create a problem with the paint further down the line?
- How hard should I dig my heels in if the initial answer from the manufacturer is "we can't do anything for you"?

The bike was around £1300 so isn't cheap (to me at least), and I'm prepared to stand my ground but if it's a case of don't sweet the small stuff it sometimes helps to have someone say that :-) Cheers in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If rust is underneath I'd say you've got a good case.

Dwn

I’ve got what appears to be the same problem with my MX-5 car bonnet, which is also made of aluminium. Both garages I use regularly have told me that it’s caused by the aluminium not being completely dry when first painted, and essentially moisture is trapped underneath the paint. Apparently this is not uncommon with these cars.

I wonder if that’s what has happened with your bike. Fwiw I was told the only answer was to have the paintwork stripped and redone. Not worth it for an 11 year old car out if warranty, but your paint warranty really should cover this

battered

Guru
It's the lacquer peeling. It happens a lot with old cars. Mine has it but it's 10 years old. Paint warranty time. It's an easy fix, any competent car or bike painter can do it.

Thanks all, really helpful to know. The suggestion from one other Giant dealer is that I'll be given some credit back for a respray, as they don't typically send the frames back to the manufacturer for paint repairs. Will see what the original retailer has to say when I go back in to pick the bike up at the weekend.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks all, really helpful to know. The suggestion from one other Giant dealer is that I'll be given some credit back for a respray, as they don't typically send the frames back to the manufacturer for paint repairs. Will see what the original retailer has to say when I go back in to pick the bike up at the weekend.
That would be a result - sooner or later you will scratch it so get the cash and see it as a discount - or even better put it towards some upgrades :smile:

I had another chat with Giant (the manufacturer) and they were quite good. They basically said they've approved a credit for the dealer to get the bike resprayed/fixed but if I want them to replace the frame they'd do it, though no guarantee over the waiting time (and I can keep the bike in the meantime so long as I don't prang it).

I wouldn't get the credit personally, it would sit with the store. So I'm leaning towards asking for the frame to be replaced.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had another chat with Giant (the manufacturer) and they were quite good. They basically said they've approved a credit for the dealer to get the bike resprayed/fixed but if I want them to replace the frame they'd do it, though no guarantee over the waiting time (and I can keep the bike in the meantime so long as I don't prang it).

I wouldn't get the credit personally, it would sit with the store. So I'm leaning towards asking for the frame to be replaced.

That would be my preference,

Dwn

I’d definitely go for the frame replacement - if the respray doesn’t work then you’ve still got a problem and the manufacturer is off the hook

Thanks all.

I went into the shop on Saturday and despite the mechanic saying there was no issue with the paint the manager assured me he'd raised a warranty claim with Giant. He told me that they'd likely swap the frame, though it might be a different colour. That's not exactly what I wanted, but given the short supply of bikes I'll take it.

Though the alternative colour for the same model is for a bike with disc brakes, and mine has rim brakes - so I'm guessing that might become an issue when Giant get back to the shop (I presume disc bike frames won't have the head tube hole for calipers).

Strange that Giant told me they'd let the shop know but the shop said they'd not heard anything :rolleyes:

I'm not paying full wack for a 2021 bike and then being given a frame from a previous year which is 300 odd pounds cheaper on their website. Though I'd happily take a refund of the difference :boxing::smile:

Top Bottom