New bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
So i just bought a felt Q520 for £100 and i would like to tinker abit, as i like to waste money!

I know i will get dont bother just buy a better bike etc
But this was my budget at the moment and id like to learn and at the same time make a unique bike so i will be posting here for a little help from time to time!

Things id like to change are bars and stem, pedals, and change to a single crank arm mainly because i like the look of it haha
First thing it defo needs is a good clean amd some new break pads, only ever having delt with V brakes disks are new to me to will be learning from the off.

As i have a friend who spray paints cars i might even get a sexy new paint job in the future

Any recommendations on other things that might need to be changed on a old bike?

20190708_193303.jpg 20190708_193225.jpg 20190708_193313.jpg 20190708_193310.jpg 20190708_193245.jpg 20190708_193230.jpg 20190708_193239.jpg

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
You'll need good cleats if you're only using a single crank arm.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks to me as if that chain has never seen a oil can. Mind you I'd say that bike has seen little if almost no action judging by the lack of wear on those chain rings.
If you want to upgrade it a bit I'd suggest a rear derailleur with a clutch, replace the calipers with Spyres and the tyres with some puncture guard Schwalbes or Panaracer SKs.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It incorporates a clutch system that tensions the chain to stop it flapping about over rough terrain, I think the Deore M6000 has it but as it's nearly as much as the bike you might want to skip it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Looking on ebay they have this...
Screenshot_20190708-211509_eBay.jpg

Looks like its got everything i would need to change from the 8 speed, 32t rear cassette 3 cog chain ring to a single at the front?

Now, this is where my knowledge fails me.
Is that kit all i would need? And how do i know it would fit!?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
@gazza81 nice bike and a good price. My advice would be to ride the bike, get to know it and then decide if you need to upgrade. I agree a 1 x 10 set up looks good but you may really get on with the triple you already have or you may not even take to riding off road.
There looks to be hardly any wear and tear on your MTB, give it a good clean and Fettle and start pedalling, don’t be hasty. :smile:

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah i wont be doing that for a little while yet anyway due to the cost.

Pads and cables are the first thing i will buy, and give it a good clean.

Screenshot_20190709-090738_Gallery.jpg

Also, is there something missing from just behind that arm there's a bit of a gap looks like it shouldn't be like that

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Do you mean the arm of the front derailleur?
Difficult to see but looks like everything is there. Or do you mean the crank? That is as it should be.
As the bike seems like it's had very little use you might even be able to skip the pads and cables but remove the cables and grease them

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
This is where I mean it seems like there's quite a big gap for dirty get in like some sort of plastic cover might be missing
20190709_094014.jpg

Also what tools would I need to remove the crank (if that's what it's called) as I'd like to clean it in Grease it

Top Bottom