New bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I should see what you can find at a lower price with good reviews. I think there are some cheaper Shimano units that get good press.

Screenshot_20190709-182732_Facebook.jpg

Is that what im after?

Theres different types, flat mount post mount etc

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Also i want to keep a eye out for a used single front ring, or a double or tripple i can strip to a single, looks like mine is welded together or something and unable to split them
View attachment 474742 View attachment 474743

Any ideas on what I need to keep a eye out for in terms of fitting?

Do you really want a single front? What size? If you don't want to shift at the front, why not just run in the middle chainring without shifting?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Do you really want a single front? What size? If you don't want to shift at the front, why not just run in the middle chainring without shifting?

Yeah i do ha
I like the less congested bars, less maintenance/things to go wrong, cleaner look
It cant be that much hassle to change it or costly surley?

Size wise i was just going to keep my middle ring if i could

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think what you've got on the bike is the older less common now ISO mount so you'll need an adapter but finding one might not be easy :sad:.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ok so ill wait on the calipers for now as i find them abit confusing, but i would defo want to upgrade them soon i think.

Sorry another question google wont answer for me, can i replace my cartridge type for any other type on crank set once its been removed?
Ive seen one quite cheap that might be worth looking at
20190709_193101.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Generally, yes. You need two spacers on the drive side and one on non drive. That should provide enough width for crank. Sometimes you need slightly different width spacers to get chainrings correctly positioned for front derailleur to work perfectly. A bit of experiment is sometimes required

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think what you've got on the bike is the older less common now ISO mount so you'll need an adapter but finding one might not be easy :sad:.
LBS. When I asked mine if they had any, the response was 'how many pounds* do you need?' as they hefted a box full of the things out of the workshop. There's so many going spare, precisely because everyone's moved to post mount. Just make sure you get the right size for your rotors.

*lbs, not £.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ok thanks, what is it im asking for? Does it have a name or just IS to post mount?
IS to post mount disc brake adaptor. They come in different rotor sizes (140, 160, 180mm) and will cope with different sizes depending on if they're used front or rear.

You can reuse the ones already on the bike. Maybe replace the rusty screws there, that's all I'd do.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ok so ill wait on the calipers for now as i find them abit confusing, but i would defo want to upgrade them soon i think.

Sorry another question google wont answer for me, can i replace my cartridge type for any other type on crank set once its been removed?
Ive seen one quite cheap that might be worth looking at
View attachment 474780
That's a Hollowtech bottom bracket and crank set which should be fine if the MTB type. The bearings sit outside the BB. This set up will be lighter than your current one.
Thanks to @winjim for that info on adapters, I couldn't see any on line.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
That's a Hollowtech bottom bracket and crank set which should be fine if the MTB type. The bearings sit outside the BB. This set up will be lighter than your current one.

Ok thanks
I asked him to send a better picture of the teeth because the picture he's got is blurry, he hasn't bothered!

I think I figured out the bike has got the sealed cartridge Square taper bottom bracket.
there's a couple of crankset on Amazon for about 40 to £50

Top Bottom