New bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Played about with the brakes again today briefly, the discs surprisingly are very straight, got them working semi good if you really squeeze

Been looking at avid bb7 calipers, would they be a decent upgrade? Can get a new pair for 50 quid

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Screenshot_20190711-090152_Facebook.jpg

This is local to where I'm working today for £10 I think it's from a road bike

I'm hoping to go and look at it in a few hours does anyone know if it would be ok to fit?
Or of any issues?

I'm thinking of using the smaller of the two chainrings only

C R

Guru
It looks square taper, but you need to check which spindle length it requires, as it may be different from the one you have. With square taper bottom brackets the spindle length is set by the chainset. In this case you have a triple in your bike, which you want to replace with a double, so there's a possibility that you would need a bottom bracket with a different spindle length.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thanks, i want to replace it with a single not a double so i guess the cap could be even more.
Ill wait for him to get back to me and go look at it as its only a tenner

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well i bought it, turns out he was working in the same hospital i was working in today! Whats the chances!

Put the single ring on but there is a bit of a gap, im sure a few washers will sort that out then to see if it actually fits the bike haha
20190711_122234.jpg
20190711_122246.jpg

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Took it for a blast around the local woods just now, the old smoker held up well!
Done 10 miles.

Kept it in the middle chain ring at the front to see how i would get on once changed to a single, no probs, had some big hill on the way too.

Going at speed down hill on the way back was getting some strange squeling clicking sound when braking, donno what that was about but they work so i guess thats all that matters haha.

Was really good fun in the woods like being a kid again!

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
On a 17mm rim "I wouldn't" go much bigger that 1.9"-2.0" and bear in mind that you'll get more tyre roll (especially at lower pressures) so it might tend to skip a bit on the ruts and turns.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ive put a new back brake lever on, set the brake, tightened it all up but the brake lever is still really loose, ive pulled as much cable as i can get through the caliper
I have to pull lever untill it touches the grip for it to stop, thats with the adjuster screw on lever undone to almost max too.
(That was right in when i set brakes)

Any ideas whats going on?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
They were cheap, but i assumed (incorrectly) that once the cable is pulled through the caliper tight that a lever is a lever!
No matter what i do it just feels soft

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
New bars on today, not sure i like them...

They're wide enough to be a PITA when it comes to passing through anti-motorcycling barriers on cycle paths. I don't run any MTB or Hybrid bars wider than 23" for this reason, and I've even cut a couple of them down with a hacksaw so that I don't have to keep picking up bikes and heaving them over the tops of barriers. Overly-wide flat bars on MTBs are mostly just a silly fashion, just like cowhorn bars used to be in the 1970's.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
The width feels comfy, its more the colour im unsure on, might grow on me or might change them we're see.

Im thinking of replacing the brakes this hydraulic set from Amazon, has good reviews and only £40 for calipers, levers and rotors.

Its either that set or avid bb7 calipers i think, trp spyre are out of my budget really.

Screenshot_20190720-190649_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom