New bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
My current brakes are awful, these seem to get good reviews and id like to learn hydraulic brakes, how to bleed etc

Alot of reviews say the rear hose is stupidly long so i would probably cut down and pick up a bleeding kit too

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My inclination with bikes is to just ride them as they are, so long as they are roadworthy when acquired. I'll swap tyres around, and replace consumables, but that's pretty much it unless I am talking about a hack bike put together from skip salvaged parts.
The danger is by incessantly messing around and swapping things, you don't necessarily end up with a better bike, but it ends up being a costly process. All the relatively low-value purchases can soon add up to more than the cost of the whole bike, and you will never get this back if you resell it. Tinkering can be interesting to do, but it really needs to be done with a clear purpose and intended result in mind.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Oh i know it will end up being a £500 bike that i can sell for £150 if im lucky!

Ive always wanted to tinker with a mtb and the part i like the most is learning about the different components and how to repair/remove.

After the ride in the woods today i definitely need new brakes, bit scary at times as it was a bit wet and my brakes were usless!

tom73

Guru
Leave him be he's enjoying himself only way to learn is to tinker. If it makes you happy then tinker away along as it still works and is safe to ride then really it don't really matter how much it costs. It all adds to the fun. :okay:

Ebay is your friend. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2020-PRO...=28257349745073022cd603c343b686fde70a99c0966d

Long link I know, but there are loads like that. It looks like that will fit your bike from the photos you have posted. The three things you need to know are the mounting method for the discs, the hose lengths, and the brake caliper mount type.

As for the single ring set up I would be inclined to look for a rear wheel that will take a 10 speed cassette , then look for something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-...=25419613854498ed7ec203df4685bdc159b84212e9e7

And this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Bike...105&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Bear in mind that one of the best ways to recover the cost of parts , is to build them onto a better frame as you progress.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thanks guys, ive already got the front single 34t ring just waiting for the bolts to arrive then i can fit
I was planning to get a 10 speed but to be honest ive not needed more than the 8 i have at the moment, if i find im needing a wider range i will defo do that though

The only time is when belting it downhill on the way home i run out of higher gears but the 32t rear is plenty for getting me up some decent hills

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I've been looking at second-hand forks recently does anyone know what would be a decent upgrade, relatively cheap.

I'm guessing anything more modern would be better than what's on there at the moment

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
You can get some cracking forks second-hand on eBay

I got a set of mint Rockshox Tora 318's on fleebay for £70 delivered

They are a bit on the heavy side compared to others in the range, but they are pretty bomb-proof, and the travel can be adjusted from 80mm-130mm on the fly

So far they have been on three bikes I have built - currently on my On One Inbred
mTB27x883oSRx9LG0b574bQIiatMW3xB3OOc8N5jDsI-2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Nice, i will keep a eye out for some! Ive seen some rockshox tora for around 50 not 318 though

If you are not bothered about the adjustability - then other Tora's are fine.

To be honest, any set of Rockshox, Fox or X-fusion would be a worthy upgrade

Just make sure.....
correct size wheel
correct travel for your frame
steerer is uncut (or hasn't been cut too short to fit)
correct axle size for your wheel (yours is standard 9mm QR).
correct brake mounts for your requirements (yours current one is IS Disc mount, but post 2 post converters are available - if needed)

also handy to know, but you can fit yourself
if a star nut has been fitted
if a crown race has been fitted

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Any ideas what i can use to sort this little problem out ha
20190724_171156.jpg

Edit
I just measured the bottom bracket as i assume i need a longer one but its already about 125mm long!

Do they go longer?

Not sure i want to put washers on as the whole crank arm wont be on the bracket all the way

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
If i move the arm even further out, to have space from the frame its going to put the chain at even more of an angle.

Not sure how to solve this one

20190724_192202.jpg

Top Bottom