New bike putting me in agony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Interesting , as at 5-8 my saddle is as far back as it will go and ive only got a 80mm stem on .
A lot edepends on your relative proportions, I'm relatively short of leg and long of back, so I need a long reach but sit back behind the BB to counterbalance this.
On my 54 Giant TCR at 5'9" I had the saddle at the extreme rear of a heavy layback post and a 120mm stem ... and still I wanted to be sat further back!

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Hope it goes well as I can honestly say my foil is the best bike ive ever ridden !

54 Scott is quite close to a Boardman 56. The top tube is the same. I suspect that you might have got a 52 Scott. Trying measuring it. Also your fork stem is too short. My sense is that even if you raise the seat, it not going to help. Your stem is already 120mm and any adjustment to reach is also limited. You have to pass it on.

The body generally can adjust to one size up and one size down. The way you describe the pain is obvious that it is out of the any adjustable zone.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
It's a 54 I'm not that daft lol I've made a radical change and slammed the stem it actually feels abit nicer, I had the idea of using a thinner saddle which would let me show more seatpos which would mean it is further back and the reach feels spot on, I'll give it a go next ride and see what it feels like, I've caked every seat bit in grip paste and I'm hoping it will hold firm!
image.jpg

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have similar issues, Medium (54) Giant Defy is slightly little too big for me, but the saddle position is perfect (set back) with respect to the BB, if I ride a small (53) model then I cannot achieve a good position with respect to the BB, even with the saddle set back I am wanting to sit further back, and reach to the handlebars requires the stem to be flipped to raise the handlebars, I will try a shorter stem on the medium sized bike this summer. I am 163cm tall with short legs and a long body.

coco69

Veteran
It's a 54 I'm not that daft lol I've made a radical change and slammed the stem it actually feels abit nicer, I had the idea of using a thinner saddle which would let me show more seatpos which would mean it is further back and the reach feels spot on, I'll give it a go next ride and see what it feels like, I've caked every seat bit in grip paste and I'm hoping it will hold firm!
View attachment 79446

That bar set up looks sooòoooo uncomfy

Citius

I still think the bars are the problem .

Agreed - the levers look like they've been set too high, and then the bars have been rotated down to compensate.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
The bars are set so they are comftorable to ride in the drops, the hoods are then set accordingly. its how ive set all my road bikes up and it seems to work well, i didnt actually have it like that until yesterday when i changed them. Otherwise i can ride on the hoods but not in the drops as the bars are at the wrong angle for my wrists.
it leaves a nice cutout between the bar and hoods to rest my hands which i find nice. The bars @Cuchilo have pictured are compact but i cant use those as my hands dont fit the drops hence using ones with a large drop.

Citius

The bars are set so they are comftorable to ride in the drops, the hoods are then set accordingly. its how ive set all my road bikes up and it seems to work well, i didnt actually have it like that until yesterday when i changed them. Otherwise i can ride on the hoods but not in the drops as the bars are at the wrong angle for my wrists.
it leaves a nice cutout between the bar and hoods to rest my hands which i find nice. The bars @Cuchilo have pictured are compact but i cant use those as my hands dont fit the drops hence using ones with a large drop.

So how come the setup on your Venge looks completely different? That set-up, at least, looks relatively normal, with a nice level section behind the hoods. If you had set the lever position properly, you wouldn't need such a long stem.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Fair enough , I can only suggest what I think from pictures you post and comments you make . I'm not the one riding the bike .

bianchi1

Guru
And the set up on your boardman is different as well

image.jpg

See how the ends of the bars point (slightly) downwards while on your Scott they are pointing up.

The shifters are also positioned up the bar on the boardman making for a flatter base, as opposed the the 'v' shape on the Scott.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Thats when i first got the boardman i changed those to the same as the foil before doing group rides so i could get low in the drops. the venge had a compact bar so i could only ride in the hoods i couldnt get into the drops without the non compact bar

One thing is though the bars are 42cm where as i usually use a 44 would that make much of a difference? As they do feel very compact

Top Bottom